Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added Fox shocks to my Commander XT. Handling was improved a great deal with extremely flat cornering and general day to day trail riding. However, on whoops, the front end still wants to nose down to soon and the rear wants to kick up. Can anyone provide advice as to how to tweak these shocks to keep the machine more level on whoops? It has the standard winch up front and I carry about 60 lbs of gear on a ride. Not sure if the front is too soft, or the rear is too hard and forcing the nose down. Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
On my X, I had to take about a half inch of preload out of the rear springs and then turned the top screw in one click. The rear of my Commander would buck really bad but it's perfect now. A little adjustment goes a long way on those things so don't try to take too big of a step. On the fronts, I'd try the damper screw (top screw) before adding preload...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the advice. When you say turn in or turn out, can you indicate clockwise or counter clockwise? Means more to a dummy like me.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
The.very thing to do is loosen us the preload to get more travel ...then work on the 3 shock adjustments

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the advice and observation. It has a serious case of kicking the rear end up so I will set to work. As far as bottoming out, I don't intend to fly so high that landing is just a polite word for crash. Lower air pressure in the tires would help here, I would think......say 5 1/2 to 6 PSI? Again....thanx to all.

Petey

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I had adjusted our shocks and was never happy with the ride ....the ride didn't say it all ...haha......

Everyone's requirements are different, but when you read the owner's manual for the spring free lengths, keep in mind that the spring recommendations are listed for 2 250# men and 600# of bagged cement out on the farm ....BRP is stating their recommendations for the worst case scenerio ......our requirement is 1 150# driver and an ice chest in the bed ...

I loosened the spring preload almost as far as possible and we still have not bottomed out jumping in the dunes even with two people in it ....rides like a Cadillac and the shocks are pretty much adjusted right on .....the difference from before to after I would compare to a stock suspension before to installing a mid travel after ....only because of the spring preload adjustment and not much to do with the shock adjustments.....Lance

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
NOw if I could just figure out a way to get that &#%[email protected]%$ spanner wrench to fit between the shock and %[email protected]%#$ frame I might get somewhere.
Raise the Frontend and take a drift punch and hammer ...tap the top nut to loosen it ...run it up the shock ...then the bottom one up with the wrench ...take measurements to make both sides the same distance ...same thing for the rear ....trick is is to jack up up each end to lessen pressure off of spring....lanc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shocks

I had adjusted our shocks and was never happy with the ride ....the ride didn't say it all ...haha......

Everyone's requirements are different, but when you read the owner's manual for the spring free lengths, keep in mind that the spring recommendations are listed for 2 250# men and 600# of bagged cement out on the farm ....BRP is stating their recommendations for the worst case scenerio ......our requirement is 1 150# driver and an ice chest in the bed ...

I loosened the spring preload almost as far as possible and we still have not bottomed out jumping in the dunes even with two people in it ....rides like a Cadillac and the shocks are pretty much adjusted right on .....the difference from before to after I would compare to a stock suspension before to installing a mid travel after ....only because of the spring preload adjustment and not much to do with the shock adjustments.....Lance

Lance, After taking 1/2 in. out of the rear preload what are your shock adj. numbers (clicks from the center of the shock adj. with 12 clicks being center) I didn't get a full 1/2 in. because the springs were lose at full extension! Thanks in advance for the info. Lance.....:)...Mark from Sac.Ca.Can-Am from Medford

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Lance, After taking 1/2 in. out of the rear preload what are your shock adj. numbers (clicks from the center of the shock adj. with 12 clicks being center) I didn't get a full 1/2 in. because the springs were lose at full extension! Thanks in advance for the info. Lance.....:)...Mark from Sac.Ca.Can-Am from Medford
Sorry Mark...didn't get this msg until just now ....we enjoyed the Commander a little bit this weekend, then Muzzys took it back with them to finish the throttle project ..BLR will be bragging up the performance increase later,but it rips! with the new throttle work done so far ....it had starting, warmup, and idleing issues here at sealevel...more software work on the ECU to do...

I can't give you the shock specs until we get it back, but will do a writeup then ...Lance

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
When I was going thru the whoops not quite as good as xp but we are a cowmannder...LOL...when we do get it back from Muzzy's as LBR stated we can give you the specs...this weekend was the 1st time I took it out after the shock adjustment....for me by myself, I never bottomed out, but I did take a passenger with me one time and I did bottom out when I hit the bottom of a hill WAY WAY to fast..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shock pricing!!!!!!

Damn all these shocks are priced more than your typical car or truck.
If anyone has a good site to buy these shocks at a cheaper price let me know.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Damn all these shocks are priced more than your typical car or truck.
If anyone has a good site to buy these shocks at a cheaper price let me know.
Mucho dinero for shocks ....they are crazy expensive.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intercom System

I have a commander X and usally ride with a passenger and we will ride for approximately 25 to 35 miles through the forest before we stop. Does any know of a good intercom system for two way communication? We wear full face helmets when we ride so the microphone arm will not work well.
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shocks

Sorry Mark...didn't get this msg until just now ....we enjoyed the Commander a little bit this weekend, then Muzzys took it back with them to finish the throttle project ..BLR will be bragging up the performance increase later,but it rips! with the new throttle work done so far ....it had starting, warmup, and idleing issues here at sealevel...more software work on the ECU to do...

I can't give you the shock specs until we get it back, but will do a writeup then ...Lance

Lance,
Did you get your Commander back with the specks for shock adj. yet??
Mark................:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Lance,
Did you get your Commander back with the specks for shock adj. yet??
Mark................:unsure:
Yes, it's back in the family now for awhile .....it was gone for 3 months and in the meantime, I had misplaced the owner's manual in my shop and the shock settings were with it ....for the meantime, I snapped a pic of front and rear spring settings ....I'll have to give you lenght specs later, but the pics will give an idea how soft the springs are now

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding the first question in the thread. Loosened the retaining ring and turned the preload adjustment CCW one full turn. Will start from there and see how it goes towards preventing that rear end kick up. Film at eleven.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts