Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my dealer that the 4 gallon "empty tank" would not do so he is replacing the sending unit.
Has anybody else had this replaced and it fixed the problem? It's less than a month old so it better be free :banghead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I told my dealer that the 4 gallon "empty tank" would not do so he is replacing the sending unit.
Has anybody else had this replaced and it fixed the problem? It's less than a month old so it better be free :banghead:
I heard from one of the Commander techs that this is the way 99% of the Commanders operate. Not sure why that would be but he was insistent.

Carl

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They replaced the fuel pump and it didn't make any difference. I picked it up and the dealer said after they replaced the fuel pump/sending unit it read empty and he said the tech confirmed it was empty
but yet when I filled it up it only took 6 gallons again. Now I ?? if they really replaced the unit:sneaky:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own a 1989 Honda Pacific Coast that did the same thing. It would read empty and still have over 2 gallons in it. They all did this also!
What I did was pull the sending unit out and bent the float arm down so that it read almost empty with 1 gallon still in it. Might have to look
at doing this with the Commander.
I don't like the idea of having to watch how many miles I have gone after the gauge reads empty, what happens if you don't get the same mpgs all the time.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I heard from one of the Commander techs that this is the way 99% of the Commanders operate. Not sure why that would be but he was insistent.

Carl
Pretty much the norm from what peeps have said....4-5 gallons (about 1/2 of the tank still has gas) and the low fuel warning comes on.

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read in the manual that the low fuel light comes on with 13 liters remaining and the tank holds 35-40 liters so I guess the light comes on with about 1/3 tank of fuel remaining.

·
Registered
188 Posts
maybe it is Cam Am's idea on how to try to prevent you from running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere instead of a switchable reserve tank. You can go a long ways on four gallons, I have not checked my gauge on my 2012 X but I drive mostly mountain trails that are full of rocks so I most likely do not travel as many miles as you would on the sand in a day, so far the most I put in was five gallons. I guess they could also change this and give you a low fuel warning at like two gallons, my truck does that at three gallons left in the tank. But you can be that if the gauge took you all the way to empty or a gallon left that there are people out there that would bitch that it does not have a reserve tank and run out of fuel.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Yeah your right... it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. No machine will make everyone totally happy.... and as long as the 4-5 gallon low fuel level is recognized as being such by the owner/driver, it's all good. If it lit at 2 gallons and driver was 30 miles out from home base, it would be pucker time.

At 4-5 gallons it could help older people remember to fuel every morning prior to the daily ride. If the machine is fired on morning 2 and that light stays on, may toggle the driver's memory for fuel?

My SxS doesn't have a low fuel light and I'm not complaining....lol

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I paid over $12k for this ride I would expect it to have an accurate gas gauge. Does you car's gas gauge light up at 12 gallons so you have enough to get to a gas station. To me this sounds like excuses for Can Am.
If it ran down to 4 gallons and a count down for miles came on the dash that might be a little different. The brain box could do a calc and determine the mpg for the first 6 gallons and the do the math and display it.
My truck has this read out on the dash, a very nice feature if your traveling and you need to find a gas station.
Most people know how many miles the ride will be or they go out 1/2 the tank and turn around. If you do this you cut your ride by ~30 miles. The problem with this system is you better notice the red light coming on when it does and the notice how many miles you have gone and then do the math and then reset the trip odo and then watch it.
I would rather have the bottom of the tank read out than the top of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ran my x out of gas today, when i filled it up only took 9 gal,
sooooo..... i cant use the last gallon. guess its not a 10 gal tank after all lol
so now we know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You would think that these engineers, if we can call them that, would take into consideration the "flat" bottomed tank. I am a vintage snowmobiler, have been for years.
The old school Ski Doos had in the tunnel tanks with the bottom pick up filters. You could run them right down to a half gallon of gas. If you knew which side of the tank it was on just roll it over on the side and run it out empty. How do you post pictures here? The icon above doesn't seem to work.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8146430471_0b9ce84eca.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
i cant post also, sold my 1969 tnt 669 ski doo, made me deaf
good thinkin about the pickups, gona check that option out thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Barbra that always works, I was going to say beer brakes, but one day last summer because one guys machine kept acting up we had to sober up to ride after we ran out of beer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts