Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the half windshield for my commander but the dust is un believable. We have to wear goggles and masks. I like the look with the shield on but I took it off so we can enjoy the ride without the dust. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the shield on without the dust swirling in the cab?
Thanks
Southern Sound System (6) 6" MTX powered by Kicker Bluetooth Audio
28" Outbacks
24" LED light bar in front
12" LED light bar in rear
2" Puck lift

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I have the half windshield for my commander but the dust is un believable. We have to wear goggles and masks. I like the look with the shield on but I took it off so we can enjoy the ride without the dust. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping the shield on without the dust swirling in the cab?
Thanks
Southern Sound System (6) 6" MTX powered by Kicker Bluetooth Audio
28" Outbacks
24" LED light bar in front
12" LED light bar in rear
2" Puck lift
Best to either take the half shield off, or leave it on and add a full rear window to help keep the dust from boiling into the cab.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
What is happening with a windshield (full is even worst than a half) is it diverts air over your rooftop, then it rolls into the bed and creates a low pressure area that vacumns the dust up between the rear of seats and front of bed into your cab. That's why the rear shield helps so much......

Don't laugh at this, but one guy said he had a windshield on and had GREAT luck with.....ready?....a pool noodle! He cut it the right length widthwise and stuffed it in front of the bed to fill that area that dust gets sucked up from!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I have the Can-Am one in the basement that I used before I got my cab enclosure, a must-have with 1/2 windshield. I strongly feel that a 1/2 windshield and screen combo is a much more pleasant riding experience than with nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i use my half windshield only when it gets cold (not often in Florida,lol), i installed the pool noodle when i first got my commander to reduce heat & noise from the rear & engine compartment,just slid it along the bed latch rods,it seals really well , found out that it also reduces the interior dust ,my windshield flips along the top edge ,i also use a brp visor -roof combination which also reduces the dust factor. Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I remember someone suggesting the pool noodle for their Commander quite some time ago....that was probably you...great idea!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I never noticed the added dust or anything and I have the 1/2 windshield on my machine. It has a lip forward that seems to direct the air up over the roof. I have a bimini roof and no back net or anything like that. Is the windsheild from Can-am or aftermarket?

Also the pool noodle is a neat idea, which I might try.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I never noticed the added dust or anything and I have the 1/2 windshield on my machine. It has a lip forward that seems to direct the air up over the roof. I have a bimini roof and no back net or anything like that. Is the windsheild from Can-am or aftermarket?

Also the pool noodle is a neat idea, which I might try.
A full is even worst than a half shield for directing dust into your cab area without the back shield or at least a net. With windshields, as you drive progressively faster, the air flow over the top creates more and more of a low pressure area directly behind the roof and inside the cab area. That is what sucks dust up between the cab and bed, and generally all around the back area, into your cab by the swirling. A back window helps blocks that alot, as does blocking that cab/bed gap from dust under the machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally bought a Can Am rear net. Can't wait to ride when it dries up here in Southern Louisiana. Mud everywhere.
Thanks everyone for the vadvice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts