Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about stretching my wheelbase a couple of inches without installing a LT kit. I have contacted some of the after market companys at which they say I should go wider instead of longer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like everytime I jump it, it noses over. I was thinking this might help.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
It seems like everytime I jump it, it noses over. I was thinking this might help.
Aha...the old nose-over complaint....we have a solution to that without the stretched-limo look....you do jumping in the sand?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Chris when jumping make sure that you DO NOT let off the throttle till the rear tires clear the jump, the engine breaking on these cars will make you nose dive. Now if you find a short steep jump I don't think anything will help that...:(
although I noticed you have an XT and not an X but when we adjusted my shocks it helped somewhat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to race 4wheelers back in the day. I never lift when taking off. But still it points straight for the ground about half the time. Just kindof scary sometimes. I have played with the shocks a little. Prolly buy some Elkas when I get my tax return.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I never lift when taking off. But still it points straight for the ground about half the time. Just kindof scary sometimes.
Don't let off at takeoff let off the throttle when your rear tires leave the top of jump, if you let of the throttle before the rear tires are in the air the engine breaking will slow or almost stop rear tires and that is what is making the nose dive.....
When I'm jumping in the sand I never let of the throttle till I know all 4 tires have left the ground, and I have not had a problem unless it is just a plan lousy jump....Barbara

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also would like to lengthen my rear trailing arms without going wider.. I am running the 2" CATVOS spacer lift with 30" Radial Outlws and they are only 1/4" from the rocker plastic. I havent found anyting other than long travel kits so far.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I would think shock setting would be the real answer. On my XT I set the front as stiff as possible and the rear on mid setting. That helped a lot keeping the noise from dropping on whoops but have not done much jumping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you don't care about losing travel then it wouldn't be a big deal, you could sweep your arms back a little . But say you wanted to move it six inches back and keep your travel you'll run into a few issues. Moving the rear end back requires a new drive shaft, or having your stock one lengthened, driveline shop can handle that easily. Cutting out stuff and making new supports for the rearend. Your stock muffler won't fit, and most after markets won't work either. So you'll have to buy something and modify the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have contemplated over this several times and agree that lengthening the wheel base would be a good idea, at least for where I ride. The only problem is it would be better to stretch the frontend so more of the weight is towards the rear for better jumping & handling. The easyist way to lengthen the wheel base would be to extended the rear trailing arms & move the rear diff, etc + you would probably gain more rear shock travel. For me I would love to widen mine about 4'" on each side and add 4-6" to the wheel base for ulitmate stabilty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking 6 back 2 forward and six wider , but I play mostly in the sand ....... I think it could really do some good on improving the handling

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also mainly ride in the sand and agree to more the better in width & length. But trying to stay with the original plastic it can't be stretched too far without looking funny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it'll look good who knows might be able to find something like this floating around glamis halloween weekend .........if the shocks ever come in

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I will be putting on the TurnkeyUTV CX3 LT when it gets here :furious:

The CX3 adds 3" back and one forward. ( I think that is what it is, its been a wile and don't remember).

It is a plus three but really it is closer to +3.75".
That is exactly what I wanted so shold work for me,can't wait.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also would like to lengthen my rear trailing arms without going wider.. I am running the 2" CATVOS spacer lift with 30" Radial Outlws and they are only 1/4" from the rocker plastic. I havent found anyting other than long travel kits so far.
Ask scott at catvos about lengthing without widening. He does that on all his lifts and prolly could without lifting or widening. Tell him wes sent ya.

If I'm posting, its because I'm on the side of the trail waiting for you slow pokes to catch up...... ROTTLMAO

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well talked to scott for y'all. It can be done but to keep axle from binding you have to go 1" wider on each side of rear and 1" spacer on front. Sounds like a good trade off to me.

If I'm posting, its because I'm on the side of the trail waiting for you slow pokes to catch up...... ROTTLMAO

·
Registered
6 Posts
extended trailarm

Has anyone tried cutting and extending the stock trail arms? It seems like a good money making project for a fabricator or welder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts