Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all is making heavy duty tie rods and rod ends? I'm not a big hyme joint fan so are there any alternatives to them?? I would prefer something that utilizes the OEM ends. Thanks!

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Turnkey UTV will have them available shortly....they are making a set for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looking around on the net it seems lots of people are getting the tie rods out (THank Goodness). So you should have plenty to choose from. I looked at 2XMotorsports, FU2Chassis, and rhinopartsandperformance. Looks like there are alot that are developing them now too. I am sure you will have a dozen to choose from in the next month. Just depends on what you are looking for and if any of these suit your needs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What seems to be the common denominator for the bending? Hard cornering, driving too fast for conditions or just a weak point of the system? I'm a nex X owner and paid enough already. I'd like to think I got my money's worth. Yes, in time I'll upgrade (but I'd like to do it when I want to, not when the machine decides to!) I'm already looking into the CV Tech clutch & exhaust. I guess I'll add steering onto the list too!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I have not had any issues with tierods, and I have jumped, hit trees & stumps, so not sure why some are...JMO I think some that have bent them has hit something and maybe didn't remember it, or didn't tell us they hit anything...I know of one peep that his fell out for no reason and BRP replaced it without question...

I'm not saying anything bad about CVTech clutch, but just be very, very careful of the customer service from the supplier...
we are starting to have options as far a clutches, so don't get in a hurry like a few other peeps have, and are now sorry..

What exhaust are you thinking about?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
What seems to be the common denominator for the bending? Hard cornering, driving too fast for conditions or just a weak point of the system? I'm a nex X owner and paid enough already. I'd like to think I got my money's worth. Yes, in time I'll upgrade (but I'd like to do it when I want to, not when the machine decides to!) I'm already looking into the CV Tech clutch & exhaust. I guess I'll add steering onto the list too!
IMO, if it was an extremely factory faulted weak point, our X should have already bent them.....this suggests to me that the ones complaining of bent ends are abusing wayyyy past the intended factory threshold and not admitting up ....

The clutches are still being developed and, just like tie rods, aren't needed if driven properly .....unless you have some really wild application for your machine? .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
My right tie rod bent about 5 to 10 degrees on the adjustment threads (outside edge of tie rod) and I did not see any marks on the tie rod and the ride I went on was pretty tame. I did get a flat along the way on that ride and the only reason I knew that was the sand was making a louder noise hitting the side / under side of the Commander. I had a pump and filled it up and stopped a couple of times to re fill it. But it was not so low it drove different.

The stock clutch has worked good for me just wanted to get the quicker starts and lower gearing from the Airdam clutch. I have only used it once and it worked great, but took it out after one ride and just have not had time to deal with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If one were to bend their tie-rod end(s), what seems to be the best seller, i.e., what are the folks out there buying for replacement (brand wise). As with any "new" products on the market, they have to run the gauntlet to prove their worthiness. Just trying to narrow down the playing field for if or when I may need to replace.

Looking forward to Saturday's ride

Beware of the Hornet!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
One more HD tie rod

Dragonfire Racing $250. (I don't do cents)
Replacement Can Am (Stock) HD Tie Rod

Well this is everything I found out there a month ago and they each have advantages in one way or another. One thing you might also want to think about, is if you get long travel you will most likely end up with that's kits tie rods as part of the kit.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I took this from another site to show what 2X Motorsports can get for any of this after market tie rods.

I got tie rods from Holz and 2x Motorsports set me up with a set of hiem boots for my tie rods. So give them a call if you want some for your tie rods.
Bryan

Below was written by 2x Motorsports.

Ok so I did some further investigation and called over to FST and talked to Torrey. He informed me about these hiem boots that they use on there race vehicles. The boots simply slide over your hiem and help minimize the harsh elements from the environment. You can spray the dry graphite lube inside and it stays contained. The heim is protected and still has full movement. Let me know what you think. Any ways here are some pictures.

spraying the dry graphite lube inside

2XMOTORSPORTS 1059 S. Country Club Dr. Mesa,AZ- 480.844.0429
2xmotorsports.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok so I did some further investigation and called over to FST and talked to Torrey.
Is this the same FST in Phoenix? I used to live there and remember Torrey. I had purchased some heim joints for a custom steering set up on my old rock crawler! Small world indeed!

With regard to the choices, I like the one that Turn Key UTV puts out. But, one can't perform on looks alone.

Thanks Dave for the post and replies...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts