Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2011 1000xt and would get the limp mode message once in awhile but simply restarting seemed to take care of it. Now it comes on and stays on. Has anyone had this problem? I only have 290 miles on it and they are gentle miles. Always garaged. Any ideas would be great. The first service has been done and oil level is ok. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
i have a 2011 1000xt and would get the limp mode message once in awhile but simply restarting seemed to take care of it. Now it comes on and stays on. Has anyone had this problem? I only have 290 miles on it and they are gentle miles. Always garaged. Any ideas would be great. The first service has been done and oil level is ok. Thanks
When you first start it, don't burp the throttle at all to keep it running (keep foot off of gas)....main thought here is to keep engine well under 2000 RPM (let idle normal) until the oil pressure builds up to normal pressure....if the limp mode is still on, then continue to let engine warm up completely (a couple of on-off cycles of the radiator fan), then go for a ride with the thought of engine RPM at 4500 or above for over 10 seconds and keep track of the limp home message to see if it goes away....keep us in the know!....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. but that is crazy to do all that for a brand new big dollar machine!!! I am a firefighter and use it for rescue applications and can't afford to wait around and play games with it for it to work correct. If I wanted problems like this I could have saved alot of time and PROBLEMS and just given my money to the garbage man and called it a day. Sorry so negative but this should not happen with a new machine!!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the info. but that is crazy to do all that for a brand new big dollar machine!!! I am a firefighter and use it for rescue applications and can't afford to wait around and play games with it for it to work correct. If I wanted problems like this I could have saved alot of time and PROBLEMS and just given my money to the garbage man and called it a day. Sorry so negative but this should not happen with a new machine!!
If any combustion engine is ran too hard too soon upon startup, the oil won't lubricate properly and cause extreme and significant wear ....BRP found a great way to keep people from ruining their engines thru this
method is my speculation ....

Try to get that code cleared per my post ....also contact your dealer, explain this to them, then inquire about the ECU reflash which I've heard will change some parameters for the better ...

Too quick of engine revs when starting and too heavy of foot before oil is warmed up is probably going to keep you a regular member of the limp home club...;)....

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
33 Posts
My computer has a mind of it's own. ANYWAY Mine was doing the same thing . I checked the oil level and found it to be low a hair. I added oil and haven't had a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts