Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, well today was a bad day... I managed to submerge my "brand new" 1000xt underwater, well partly anyway.

The xt was leaned over on the right side and I am sure the water did not go in the CVT filter point as that is on the left side and this was out of the water.

The engine was running and then i think water got down the exhaust and stalled the engine out, when we managed to pull it out a lot of water came out of the exhaust, I tried to start it but i just get a click from the starter when i push the button and a message stating faulty PPS or PPM I can't remember which I will need to check again.

Once I got it out of the water the air filter was soaking wet and the air box full of water until I took the drain plug off underneath and drained the water out.

The manual states if it becomes submerged in water it needs to go to a authorised Can-Am dealer, that's great it states that with almost everything!!!!

It does mention a restart procedure, however at the moment the starter is just clicking, I am wondering if the whole vehicle will just dry out.

Anyway can you all give me some advice on what i should do, I just don't want to get into shipping to the dealer if i don't have to.

Please help a man in distress:furious:

Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I hate to say it but the air intake is under the glove box on the passenger side. If you're air box was full of water, there's a good chance your motor is too. Hydro lock can bend rods, damage the crank and just completely suck. I'd pull the spark plugs and see if you have water in the cylinders. Maybe you got lucky and the motor choked out before water got that far. Keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would take it to the dealer as a last result. If you're mechanically inclined it should be no problem to get it back running as long as no engine damage occured. Your engine is most likely hydrolocked, don't keep trying to start it or you will cause engine damage, bending rods, etc. Remove your air filter, disconnect air duct inlet tube to engine/throttle
body & dry out. Remove spark plugs & crank over engine until water is removed from cylinders. Dry out or replace spark plugs. Put it all back together & see if it will run. If it doesn't you may need to remove exhaust & dry out, check for water in fuel, check for water in electronics/connections(you really shouldn't have a problem here but possible), check engine compression. If it runs rough, it's a good possibility the rods are bent or spark plugs are fouled. Make sure you remove the belt cover & drain out the water. If you take it to the dealer with it being submerged & water in the engine it will void your warranty & there will be record of it so I would try to fix it myself first. Next install a snorkle kit if you want to do deep water crossings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks this is a big help trust me! I have removed the air filter and I have read up and the spark plugs appear to be under both seats?

I am not mechanically minded, however changing the spark plugs is not an issue for me.

Not sure on the "disconnect air duct inlet tube to engine/throttle
body & dry out" where is this exactly? I definitely definitely learnt the hard way with this one, still I had fun! but does not seem worth it now.

I really appreciate the help...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok stripped the vehicle down so I could get access to the spark plugs and the left hand side is a B**** to work on.

I then pulled the plugs and hey presto the motor turned over and out came the water!

I have sprayed WD40 inside the spark plugs outlets as it is supposed to remove moisture, the air duct inlet tube i am assuming that this is the one that comes from the air box, through the console and into the head of the engine?

The belt cover is this on the drivers side that has the large oval shape hoses attached to the forward and rear of the vehicle?

Making progress guys, I just hope I did not bend anything when I was eager to start the engine with the water on top of the head.

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Were you able to get it running? Looks like you were successful in removing the water. The Belt cover is a black oval shape cover on the lower drivers side of engine, couple of the lower bolts are a pain to get to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Change the oil while your at it. Let us know how you end up. Getting an engine filled with water is no fun. Get it running as soon as possible. Internals start to rust pretty fast.

I let some friends ride one of my waverunners last summer. They completely filled the engine with water. I worked hard for about 2 hours got her going and rhode it hard for about an hour to be sure to get all the moisture out. It is a terrible feeling not knowing if your in for $1000 plus in repairs. A twisted crank and some bent rods will do that. I was lucky, I hope you are too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah you better listen to Spud cause if you don't get all the water out asap and ride the thing for a while to get rest of the moisture out you will be shorten the life of your motor. I have sunk many of race jetski in the waves during races and getting the water out and riding the thing asap was the only thing that prevented the motors from being replace/repaired early. Lazy racers were never so lucky...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys the XT is running great and thanks for everyone sound advice I have saved a lot of money, I have installed a K&N air filter and a two brothers performance slip on pipe and what a difference.

I have noticed I have used some oil though, is this normal for a four stroke?

I did not see any sign of water in the oil, good colour when I checked, still after what spud is saying it maybe wise to change, can anyone recommend another oil apart from the reccomended XPS because I can't get it where i am at.

Thanks JR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys the XT is running great and thanks for everyone sound advice I have saved a lot of money, I have installed a K&N air filter and a two brothers performance slip on pipe and what a difference.

I have noticed I have used some oil though, is this normal for a four stroke?

I did not see any sign of water in the oil, good colour when I checked, still after what spud is saying it maybe wise to change, can anyone recommend another oil apart from the reccomended XPS because I can't get it where i am at.

Thanks JR
Rotella T6 is what I use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't get this i will have to go withe operator's reccomendation and look for a 5W 40 grade, not sre which brand I can get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would for sure change your engine oil a couple of times just to be sure u got all the water out.
I would also be looking at changing your diff oils and gearbox because sometimes water gets through the breather hoses!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts