Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders,

Finally got back from the sands of the middle east. Finally got about 15 hours on my commander. My son and I are heading to the Hatfield and McCoy trail system in West Virginia. I changed the oil and filter and the gear box. Now this rear and front differential has caused me to break a sweat. I know im not the smartest person but I got the oil out of the rear diff but where do put the new back in? Havent looked at the front yet but words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that was the worse part. But going to make up for it. Taking the whole family on a week long ride.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Glad you're having some fun with it as if changing fluids is fun.....do check your owners manual for the proper rear fluid level as you don't fill it till it runs out like on the front .....

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Well Damn Man....share so none of us other knoobs feel dumb when we can't find it.
The rearend fill plug is on the LH side, very close to the left axle CV boot and at the axle centerline. Fluid level is to be 9/16" below the bottom of the filler hole with a plus/minus variance of 3/16".

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK now my turn for a dumb question, if you do fill it to the check plug level on the rear diff. whats the worst that could happen? expand and blow it out the vent? possibly push it out the seals if vent is plugged wich could happen on the front diff. Why would they design a diff with the check plug up that high, henst the word CHECK PLUG

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
OK now my turn for a dumb question, if you do fill it to the check plug level on the rear diff. whats the worst that could happen? expand and blow it out the vent? possibly push it out the seals if vent is plugged wich could happen on the front diff. Why would they design a diff with the check plug up that high, henst the word CHECK PLUG
I'm with everyone else...why put the fill plug up higher than the fill level....totally crazy engineering...and everyone is so used to fill and plug when full.

Pure speculation with a dash of common sense tells me that if the differential vent gets completely plugged up/fails with the rear over-filled, the extreme fluid temperatures will definately expand to cause seal leaks and many peeps have complained of seals leaking and fluid blown out the vent like you mention. Also, if someone fills it up to that plug level, even with the vent operational, the bottom half of the axle seals are always submerged with scalding fluid.....another reason there may be more leaky seals than there should be? Maybe the seals are a sub-par grade or a bad run?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts