Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a pair of 6" speaker cans out of PVC the other day. I used SCH. 40 caps and couplings. Just glued them together with a few slices of pipe. I ordered the cheapo waterproof speakers and amp by Pyle from amazon. Paid $66.99 for the speakers and amp. The amp is model #PLMRMP1A. It includes a volume knob and MP3 jack which will be mounted on the dash. I plan to mount the amp up high behind the drivers seat, then run the power from the fuse block to a toggle in the dash, then to the amp. I fitted the cans to the cage with 2-2" u bolts/can. Although I ordered the speakers/amp over a week ago, the vendor has not yet shipped them. I'm expecting them to be here by the middle of next week. I picked up a spray can of Krylon Fusion black paint which will cover the cans once the speakers are fitted. The u-bolts will be sheathed with black flexible tubing. I'll post more pics of the install next week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the Pyle Amp with 4 speakers, volume, and jack for $91 from ebay. For $91 it works pretty good.

Nice job, I like the DIY!

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
I'm lovin' it!!....you could do so much to dress them....paint a base color and flame job, contingency stickers, ZZTop "Zee" them.....far out!!.....:showoff:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody! I was hesitant to go with the Pyle stuff, but for the price.. it seemed hard to beat. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got everything installed over the weekend. Painted the cans black and mounted the amp to the wall up high behind the drivers seat. The MP3 hookup is in the cup holder. The on/off switch and volume knob is in the dash to the left of the steering column. All wires are hidden and zip-tied. It all looks real clean, and for the price, the sound ain't that bad. Except for the cans, you can't tell there's a sound system in it at a glance. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job.
Where did you run the wires from the front to the speakers, in the center or on the side?
I ran the wires from the speakers, down the roll cage to the amp behind the seat. The power wires and volume control wires run between the rocker panel and come out right next to the amp behind the seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any picks of them painted and installed and front shot off speakers? And also how did the speakers install in the pipe? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Any picks of them painted and installed and front shot off speakers? And also how did the speakers install in the pipe? Thanks!
They never reported back with pics of the finished product.:(

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
1 Posts
002 (2).jpg I made ones from 1930'something headlights,had the just laying around an though they would make great boxes..sounds good too..

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
That is sooooo cool, innovative, and retro!.. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts