Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm kinda of an idiot here, this is a new term for me & LBR, we just got our paddles today and we need to remove rubber. I went out on this thing called the world wide web to try and find out info, I was to over welmed...:):)..
A friend of ours has a hot knife that he has offered to let us use, I just didn't want to look like a complete idiot.
Is their a site somewhere that I can go to and see how to do it, (ok guys get you mind back on the tires)that is remove rubber off of the tire, we need to lighten our load....:giggle::giggle:

Barbara

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, I'm kinda of an idiot here, this is a new term for me & LBR, we just got our paddles today and we need to remove rubber. I went out on this thing called the world wide web to try and find out info, I was to over welmed...:):)..
A friend of ours has a hot knife that he has offered to let us use, I just didn't want to look like a complete idiot.
Is their a site somewhere that I can go to and see how to do it, (ok guys get you mind back on the tires)that is remove rubber off of the tire, we need to lighten our load....:giggle::giggle:

Barbara
Barbara,

Try these links: Tech: Grooving Tires

ATV Tire Grooving Tips And Tools | ATV Sport

It's pretty easy to groove your tire it just takes a bit of patience. I used to groove all my hoosier tires when I used to race flattrack. I think I still have my grooving tool hiding in my toolbox somewhere.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I have the Pistol gripIron and find it works better than the 4 speed (or similar). The head on the 4 speed is to large to get between lugs. Good for mass rubber removal however cumbersome for intricate work. I also use a sawsall with a wood blade to cut lugs completly off. Is a whole lot faster than a Hot Knife. There were lugs between the ones that are left that I cut out with a Sawsall. Then I removed an additional 7#s of rubber with the Hot Knife. These tire are very stiff from the factory and need to be trimmed down near the chords including the sidewalls to get them to work well. I also only use 8PSI in them mounted on Beadlocks. Granted these are not Commander tires and needed a whole more done to them to make them trail worthy however it was the only sample I have. Another use for the hot knife is to resharpen the lugs after the edges get rounded off. You can get a longer life from your tires that way.
Here is a pic of the Bogger tires I did on my woods buggy:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the pistol grip also but the tires I used to groove were the Hoosier Smooth Racing tires which were a much softer compound (obviously) than your woods buggy and the pistol grip cut through them like a hot knife on butter.

If your going to play with grooving tires, the pistol grip hot knife is a cheap addition to you tool box.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the paddles

Here are the paddles that LBR bought either we will use them on his Rhintax or Cah-Mandi They look HUGE just sitting on the floor 26x12x12

We have a few friends running them on their Rhinos and another one just put a pair on his RZR

they weight in at 26lbs each, but LBR just got a text this morning that they were able to remove 9lbs off of each tire...Wow...

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stock machines are running them, it you have to much traction they just a little more air...in our last video we did... the green stock rhino has them and since then the RZR and the blue Rhino are running them.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Plus you can stagger cut the paddles in a 50/50 to a 70/30 configuration to lose the "too much traction" syndrome if you like ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
149 Posts
It all depends on how you drive and where drive at. But in general your looking to get the best traction with reducing as little power as possible. Sand is a HP sponge. Having more paddles or taller paddles isn't the answer unless you have big horsepower. People who drag race typically run straight paddles & people who like the rear to slide a little easier run stagger cuts. Everyone has their own preference but this is a general idea.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be looking at paddles at some point and had no idea you could get to much traction. Does that just slow you down?
The sand that we run in is a lot different then Glamis..
the sand moisture up here in Oregon can change 2 to 3 times aday..depending on the weather..
The worst thing is to have to small of tires/paddles you can always add air if you start to bog your engine if they are on the larger size...
some of the hills around here you need wheel speed and on others you need floatation.
Up here more of us are running paddles on all 4..we will lose high end but for how we dune...trails & hummocks LBR Rhintax and my Cah-Mandi thats what we will run...Barbara

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
The sand that we run in is a lot different then Glamis..
the sand moisture up here in Oregon can change 2 to 3 times aday..depending on the weather..
The worst thing is to have to small of tires/paddles you can always add air if you start to bog your engine if they are on the larger size...
some of the hills around here you need wheel speed and on others you need floatation.
Up here more of us are running paddles on all 4..we will lose high end but for how we dune...trails & hummocks LBR Rhintax and my Cah-Mandi thats what we will run...Barbara
Hmmm! Maybe that's why you two can not keep the rubber side down!!!!!!!!:rofl:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I am looking forward to hitting the dunes. I have a feeling it will be a wile till I can get there. Trails and hills for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts