Since I am needing to do this, I was trying to come up with a way to somehow "scrub" the inside of the water jug. Seeing as you cannot get your hands in there, I needed something that could do the job for me. Here is what I have come up with:
- Fill your 6 gallon water jug with 3 gallons of warm water, or your 5 gallon water jug with 2-1/2 gallons of warm water (I suppose you could round up, lol)
- Pour in a 1/4 of bleach.
- Pour in a cut of popping corn. (un-popped of course)
- Close the jug and aggitate the corn inside of the jug. Shake it, roll it, throw it around if you really want to. (actually don't throw it)
- Empty the contents of the jug, use a strainer or the like to make the cleanup of the popping corn a lot easier.
- Rinse out the jug really well a few times, if you continue to smell bleach you can fill the jug with water and add some white vinegar, that should help.
- Let the jug dry and then recap for storage.