Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few months ago about this but i was wondering if anybody else has had any problems with this or if anybody know how much noise the commanders make when driving them down the road. Mine has a howling noise coming either from the rear end or the transmission and i was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same noises.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Our is noisy also....the CVT makes quite a racket.....

The absolute best thing any of us with Commanders could do is when you run into another Commander owner, talk them into swapping machines for just a few minutes of easy riding with each other.....then both owners can "Test Drive" another's Commander and when done, stop and discuss each machine....this is a great way to educate yourself and another owner to compare noises, an array of differences in riding and driving, optional equipment the other has installed.....all for a half hour and making a new friend......and should you drive another's and the noise is not near what your's is,:redcarded: RED FLAG! :redcarded:.....you know to check yours out ASAP.....alot better idea than expecting the service technician to know, when they don't know jack about Commanders......Lance

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Our 1000 X had a lot of rear end whine from the beginning and got worse over time. It's Vin. #300. 876 miles and 60 hours. We just put 185 miles on it at St. Anthony over the 4th of July and all you can hear in the videos is gear noise! So, I just got it back yesterday from the dealer, they put a whole new rear end in under warranty and on a short test drive last night it did seem a lot quieter. I'm driving it into town tomorrow on the pavement so I will be better able to tell what it sounds like.
They also put a shim in the primary to hold the sheaves closer together and ground the humps off the ramps so it engages a lot smoother without so much clunk. It does seem to spin the tires more when you get on it too. Otherwise, everything still stock.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Our 1000 X had a lot of rear end whine from the beginning and got worse over time. It's Vin. #300. 876 miles and 60 hours. We just put 185 miles on it at St. Anthony over the 4th of July and all you can hear in the videos is gear noise! So, I just got it back yesterday from the dealer, they put a whole new rear end in under warranty and on a short test drive last night it did seem a lot quieter. I'm driving it into town tomorrow on the pavement so I will be better able to tell what it sounds like.
They also put a shim in the primary to hold the sheaves closer together and ground the humps off the ramps so it engages a lot smoother without so much clunk. It does seem to spin the tires more when you get on it too. Otherwise, everything still stock.
Have you dealer check the last 3#'s on diff...
391 was the 1st ones and those have been replaced with 411 or 440...Barbara

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have about 500 miles on my 800 now. Never noticed how noisy it was until we bought a rzr 900. Much quieter and less vibration. I dont remember the noise level when the commander was new, maybe hasnt changed any. I would like to do something to quiet it down if possible.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I was thinking, I wear a helmet and for someone who is not it will of course sound louder.

My rear differential (398) did go out some time back but it never was loud in my opion. The new (411) differential sounds the same to me.

Now the stock clutch makes some noise, but when I did the Thermo Tec on the clutch cover it seemed to knock the noise level down quite a bit. Then I tried out the Airdam clutch with a STM secondary and the noise was noticeably louder at idle but coming from the air intake for the CVT. That noise was more of clanking that is normal from the weights on the clutch at idle. Just dont hear it with the stock clutch.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The noise is coming from the stock clutch and the rear end...the CVTech primary and stm secondary is very quiet compared to stock
Do you also get that clanking weight noise like I was talking about?

And off subject but do you loose engine breaking below 5 mph or so?

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine free spins at low mph, kinda sucks but not anything major. the other benefits you get from it make up for the low speed engine break.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done some messing around with the noise on my 1000 and when you are crusing down the road u can slide the shifter into neutral and coast and the noise is the same and the engine is at idle. So the noise has to be coming from the transmission gear box or the rear end. There is some noise from the cvt system but thats not my complaint. My compaint is the growling or whining that is very noticable to everyone that rides with me or just people in the same area. You cant even here the motor noise over this growling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
diff. noise

Called my dealer to see about buying a new 1000 4 wheeler and when we were all done with the discussion he said,oh buy the way wayne my brp rep told me today if anybody has any issues with a noisy diff. replace it under warranty no questions asked!So of course after I contained myself, I said put me on the list and they ordered me up one f.o.c.cool huh!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ours had the 4?? rear end and screamed like an Indy car from day one. Started making a thumping sound, I think bearing went. Dealer put a new 1506 in and is real quiet. All I hear now is cvt and muffler

If I'm posting, its because I'm on the side of the trail waiting for you slow pokes to catch up...... ROFLMAO

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Ours had the 4?? rear end and screamed like an Indy car from day one. Started making a thumping sound, I think bearing went. Dealer put a new 1506 in and is real quiet. All I hear now is cvt and muffler

If I'm posting, its because I'm on the side of the trail waiting for you slow pokes to catch up...... ROFLMAO
Explain Thumping noise. I ask because I recently started getting a noise from the rear that reminded me of brake pads hitting a bent rotor once every revolution. It only happens under accelleration above 15 MPH in low or high gear. BTW my rotors are straight and the noise is not coming from them. You know all three of them! Yea a little sacasm!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds about right ours started around 8 mile an hour . jack your rear off the ground and spin the tires with your hand on the rear diff and you should be able to feel it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts