Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Ditto on the pictures nomad ....it's so easy to take pics of a completed project, but not many will labor to lay the pieces out for the photo shoot like you did .....that will help someone in the future for sure! .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. How much did the braces stiffen up the latch bracket. I have been wondering how the door manufactures were addressing that issue. That bracket is kinda out there in the wind so to speak.
The Pro Armor brackets do their job of stiffening up the latch bracket. They've really done their homework. That being said, I still plan on building the better mousetrap and will run a metal cross brace strut from the latch bracket to the steering column bracket. I'll do something similar on the passenger side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installation suggestions:

1. Recommend the installing the drivers side door first. It seemed easier to install and you'll learn how to best remove and reinstall the plastic side panel.

2. Recommend using duck tape to cover up the floor holes otherwise you'll lose bolts and screws, which you'll never find again.

3. This is definitely a job requiring a case of beer

4. Each Commander is built slightly different and I found that a round file helped in getting Pro Armor parts to fit exactly. The Pro Armor stuff was on target, but some of the Commander bolt openings were off The passenger side was more of a challenge than the drivers side.

5. Once you pry back the side panel to see 2 speed clips on the bottom of the side panel plastic. That's the best time to snip them off as it will facilitate an easier removal and later, the reseting of this panel. You'll move these 2 speed clips to rocker panel plastic and they'll do the same job in attaching the bottom of the side panel to the body. Nice tip from Pro Armor!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Right now there is no competition.....

Could you take a close up of this pic ... specifically in the lower front area where the gap is in front of the door surround pipe. Is it a chunk of black plastic they have you install? That's the piece that I couldn't get any answers on so I went with the one that has "metal" there and matched the lines ... that being Blingstar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Could you take a close up of this pic ... specifically in the lower front area where the gap is in front of the door surround pipe. Is it a chunk of black plastic they have you install? That's the piece that I couldn't get any answers on so I went with the one that has "metal" there and matched the lines ... that being Blingstar.
No, it's not plastic. This part is powder coated steel. The door panels and tube frame is aluminum

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Installation suggestions:

1. Recommend the installing the drivers side door first. It seemed easier to install and you'll learn how to best remove and reinstall the plastic side panel.

2. Recommend using duck tape to cover up the floor holes otherwise you'll lose bolts and screws, which you'll never find again.

3. This is definitely a job requiring a case of beer

4. Each Commander is built slightly different and I found that a round file helped in getting Pro Armor parts to fit exactly. The Pro Armor stuff was on target, but some of the Commander bolt openings were off The passenger side was more of a challenge than the drivers side.

5. Once you pry back the side panel to see 2 speed clips on the bottom of the side panel plastic. That's the best time to snip them off as it will facilitate an easier removal and later, the reseting of this panel. You'll move these 2 speed clips to rocker panel plastic and they'll do the same job in attaching the bottom of the side panel to the body. Nice tip from Pro Armor!

Number three is my favorite!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the info Nomad ... I wasn't getting any info from Pro Armor and that is what finally pushed me away. I think I would have been happy with them too. I'll try to get some pics of the Blingstars when they get here ... hopefully today or early next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I am having a problem installing my pro armor doors. I have looked at all of Nomads pics and I noticed that my doors look the exact same but the latch is different my latch bolts onto my door and the catch pin bolts onto the old net buckle mount. But anyway at the back of the door where it slids onto the nub on the pillar and then bolts down at the bottom by the seatbelt reel just doesnt line up for crap. The only way I can see it working is to cut away some part of the metal mount on the back bottom and then mounting the door on the outside of the mount. My commander is a 2013 limited I guess I was just wandering if anyone else has installed doors on the same commander or had any problems like this. I cant see any differences betweeen a 2013 or any of Nomads pictures so I am leaning towards my door frame just maybe came bent and out of whack.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
That is a 2 year old thread, so pro armor may have done some changes to their kit

Go to the search feature and enter Pro Armor. I had 19 threads that showed, and several of them were doors. :)

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
13 Posts
The kit has changed a bit... BUT..The tip on cutting those tabs is the best thing I've ever seen!! I installed a set of doors yesterday and it took me 3 hours on one side until I found your pictures of cutting the tabs. Then it only took about 45 min on the other side. You saved me for sure!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The kit has changed a bit... BUT..The tip on cutting those tabs is the best thing I've ever seen!! I installed a set of doors yesterday and it took me 3 hours on one side until I found your pictures of cutting the tabs. Then it only took about 45 min on the other side. You saved me for sure!!

I like the look of the Mavrick doors on the Commander. Just checking, they do not come off correct?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts