Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my XT on the trailer the other day and noticed the half windshield flexing quite a bit at normal speeds. Anyone ever have problems with their roof, windshield, or rear windscreen being damaged or lost while transporting at highway speeds? Also I was planning on buying a spare (just in case) belt. Wasnt sure of the exact bolt size needed to relax the pully in order to swap the belt. Anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IIRC, you need an M8 X 1.25 X 70MM fully threaded.

As far as your spare belt goes, the Gates belt has been given some praise of late by actual users and for a spare, you can't beat the price when purchased from Discount Fleet. The OEM is typically close to $110 while the Gates can be purchased for $35 + shipping. The Gates part # is 30G3750. Elsewhere, the Gates belt is closer to $65.

30G3750 Gates G-Force CVT Belt - Ignore the number on the picture, the number on the page itself is correct.

There are several videos of interest on youtube. One will show you how to do the belt change and includes the bolt size (he uses a slightly shorter bolt, but better to be safe than sorry on length, IMHO). Another compares the OEM belt with Dayco and Goodyear. After seeing that video, I'd avoid the Goodyear.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps some. :)

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
IIRC, you need an M8 X 1.25 X 70MM fully threaded.

As far as your spare belt goes, the Gates belt has been given some praise of late by actual users and for a spare, you can't beat the price when purchased from Discount Fleet. The OEM is typically close to $110 while the Gates can be purchased for $35 + shipping. The Gates part # is 30G3750. Elsewhere, the Gates belt is closer to $65.

30G3750 Gates G-Force CVT Belt - Ignore the number on the picture, the number on the page itself is correct.

There are several videos of interest on youtube. One will show you how to do the belt change and includes the bolt size (he uses a slightly shorter bolt, but better to be safe than sorry on length, IMHO). Another compares the OEM belt with Dayco and Goodyear. After seeing that video, I'd avoid the Goodyear.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps some. :)
$110 for an OEM...BRP belt??? or is that a gates belt..
I had to finally change the belt out after pulling Lances Rhino back to camp this past weekend...almost 1600 miles on the original belt...

·
Registered
39 Posts
$110 for an OEM...BRP belt??? or is that a gates belt..
I had to finally change the belt out after pulling Lances Rhino back to camp this past weekend...almost 1600 miles on the original belt...
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer = BRP

So, yeah, $110 for an OEM - if you shop. For example, here is an OEM belt for $116 off of eBay Commander CVT Belt. I'd have to hunt to find that $110 price again. My Dealer wanted $136. They can be quite expensive. Gotta be careful where you buy. I've seen OEM belt prices in excess of $200.

Typical price for a Gates is around $65. But Discount Fleet (link in my post above) currently has them for $35 + shipping, total around $48.

I just went through shopping for a spare belt to carry around and wound up with a Gates for $65. Of course, 2 days after ordering the Gates from SuperATV, I learned about the Discount Fleet price elsewhere on the 'net. Always works that way, doesn't it? ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thank you Mike, I ordered a belt last night and it has been shipped to me already. Good service and a great price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you Mike, I ordered a belt last night and it has been shipped to me already. Good service and a great price.
You're welcome, but to give credit where credit is due a gent named Mtnvarmit is the fellow who found the Discount Fleet source for the Gates belt. I'm just passing along the info. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts