• Maybe Turbo

Votes: 17 30.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Poll, just seeing what everyone is thinking about turbo's

I talked to Rayce from K & T turbo's today and they have the turbo all ready for sale now....$4500 he says..running 8lbs of boost with stock pistons giving a little over a 100 hp...:)..he will have more info later

they are working with a piston maker to build pistons 9 to 1 compression to run on pump gas also

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear Wheel, and from my understanding that includes evertything..
The turbo for the RZR 800 is close to 4500 also...and that's from MCX
I know MCX has one available for the 900 but not sure of the cost..
for sure it's a lot of money..:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
No turbo for me. Have not had it top end yet, about 65 mph. Mine will run fast enough and has all of the power I want. No need in adding another headache. I work on my equipment, not my toys.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I would like to get turbo but aside from a lot of money seems like a lot of stuff has to get the bugs worked out with new creations for the SxS's. I would have to see a lot of pictures and be assured it would not affect the reliability of the engine. Also I would not want to cut anything so if something like the rear end went out (again for me) it would be covered under warranty.
Maybe in three more years after warranty and they have been tested it will be time for one.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Think your right to hold back and let others field test some major addons like this .....lot of money to be spending for being a R & D Guinea pig with an unknown setup ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I was talking to some guys about the turbo and they said no way because of the cool down. I have never had a turbo and did not know you have to do a cool down EVERY time you drive down the street. That would get old real quick and that is what both of the guys that have had it on there cars were telling me.
They said it is a 30 second cool down or more and you can buy a kit to do it after shut down but still. If I was stuck and getting out I don't want to be cooling down every time.
Maybe wait till a supercharger comes out.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I was talking to some guys about the turbo and they said no way because of the cool down. I have never had a turbo and did not know you have to do a cool down EVERY time you drive down the street. That would get old real quick and that is what both of the guys that have had it on there cars were telling me.
They said it is a 30 second cool down or more and you can buy a kit to do it after shut down but still. If I was stuck and getting out I don't want to be cooling down every time.
Yes on the cool down period to let that oil pull some heat away ....but wouldn't be that big of deal to idle a little before shutoff IMO ...unless you had a squirtin-hersheys emergency ...lol....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have some experience with turbos, why would you need a 'cool down' cycle? Why not just add a small oil cooler and aux oil pump?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Welcome to the site Alex!.....this is one of those topics that will get 100 different answers from 100 people......set the bookends and then work both directions to the center....if you guys really wanted to decipher this, we could setup a poll of different levels of usage and then vote on which level it "would be a good idea" to let the turbo cool for a bit with discussion on add-ons to help....just a thought.....

If you do a 3 minute WOT pull up a sand mountain, don't immediately shut the machine off to BS your buds 5 seconds after cresting the top....the oil will coke inside the turbo

If you cruise 15 MPH back to your rig on a level dirt road, go ahead and shut it off immediately....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the site Alex!.....this is one of those topics that will get 100 different answers from 100 people......set the bookends and then work both directions to the center....if you guys really wanted to decipher this, we could setup a poll of different levels of usage and then vote on which level it "would be a good idea" to let the turbo cool for a bit with discussion on add-ons to help....just a thought.....

If you do a 3 minute WOT pull up a sand mountain, don't immediately shut the machine off to BS your buds 5 seconds after cresting the top....the oil will coke inside the turbo

If you cruise 15 MPH back to your rig on a level dirt road, go ahead and shut it off immediately....
Thanks for the welcome, haven't gotten round to an introduction I'm still floating around reading :).

I'm still not grasping why you'd shut down the engine with a turbo install, I've seen a few four wheelers with turbos and radiators installed without issue being able to be run hard for hours on end. The only concern with those were the oil used (had to be synthetic to deal with added heat and wear).

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, haven't gotten round to an introduction I'm still floating around reading :).

I'm still not grasping why you'd shut down the engine with a turbo install, I've seen a few four wheelers with turbos and radiators installed without issue being able to be run hard for hours on end. The only concern with those were the oil used (had to be synthetic to deal with added heat and wear).
Just to illustrate a point, if we reverted to an over-the-top instance...when a turbo is extremely hot from a hard pull and is shut off immediately, the oil can boil and coke the turbo bearings.....my main point is that one needs to be friendly to their engine depending on the circumstances,,,,if you piddled along @ 15MPH and stopped, shut it off immediately would be way good......if your turbo looked like the one pictured, be friendly to it and your pocketbook and let it cool down with a constant oil flow thru it, then shut it down....Lance

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-cooling-down-after-driving-42686.html?t=42686

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to illustrate a point, if we reverted to an over-the-top instance...when a turbo is extremely hot from a hard pull and is shut off immediately, the oil can boil and coke the turbo bearings.....my main point is that one needs to be friendly to their engine depending on the circumstances,,,,if you piddled along @ 15MPH and stopped, shut it off immediately would be way good......if your turbo looked like the one pictured, be friendly to it and your pocketbook and let it cool down with a constant oil flow thru it, then shut it down....Lance

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-cooling-down-after-driving-42686.html?t=42686
Of course if your turbo set up is glowing like that then you would NOT want to shut it down right away, I don't see a long life ahead of the turbo pictured if its driven like that often :giggle:.

I understand your point about cool down procedures, maybe I misread the OP (from what I gathered he made it sound like you had to shut down after every run for it to cool down) so my apology.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Of course if your turbo set up is glowing like that then you would NOT want to shut it down right away, I don't see a long life ahead of the turbo pictured if its driven like that often :giggle:.

I understand your point about cool down procedures, maybe I misread the OP (from what I gathered he made it sound like you had to shut down after every run for it to cool down) so my apology.
You and I are on the exact same wavelength Alex....my take from Bryan's one post is he had a couple of guys tell him ALWAYS a 30 second cool down,,,,we know that is a bit exagerated and I was conveying that it is not necessary most of the time depending on how the turbo machine is driven the last couple of minutes prior to shutdown.....you sound very adept to the auto world Alex - would really appreciate your knowledge here on CT to help dis-spell any mis-information that crops up.....you in???.....:).....Lance

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I was thinking it needed at least a 30 second cool down from what I heard. And I had a couple of times on my last day out where I was riding hard for a couple of miles and got to a spot I stopes at and shut down right away, looked around and got back in started up and on my way. In those cases I would not care to leave the enging running or have a pump and fan going until cool down is complete.
After talking to the same guys I was told that superchargers today are better than a turbo because you don't have a red hot turbo after a hard ride and the power taken from the engine on the new supercharger is now less than that of a turbo. Giving you more horsepower for about the same cost without any cool down to think about.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bryan..LBR & I have rode with a couple of Supercharged Rhino's..granted they were built also, which doesn't help.. but they never lasted 1/2 hour out on the sand before having to load back onto the trailer cause of some problem..
Bryan...can you find out or do you know who supplies the superchargers?
Several of the guys we ride with..specially RZR's are running turbo's...mostly MCX...BUT a lot of them are now going with a K&T...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts