Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought the better half and I would plunk down a few pictures and tales of our 2372 mile round trip journey to Ocotillo Wells and Buttercup in California. This trip was really exciting to us as we met a NorCal riding buddy in Ocotillo and traveled together to Gray's Well in Buttercup.

It's true that when one reflects on past vacations, the incidents that are the funniest afterwards and become forefront memories are the teeth-grinding ones at the time....we could write a novel of our trip south....

Pictures and tales may not be in storybook fashion, but mixed up, out of order and helter-skelter.......just like Barbara and I are!..... lol...

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The pair of criminals at large

Our camping setup. Hauls my Rhintax and Barbs Cowmander with room to spare. Not may toyhaulers can pack 2 UTVs longer than RZRs inside. The Rhintax easily goes in truck bed to haul a third SxS or whatever if needed.

My Rhintax with a magnetic base spotlight. 2006 Rhino with an 800 Rotax from an Outty and Barbara's 2011 1000X Cowmander. Our buddy Joey's RZR4 on right.

Spotlight on the Cowmander

Spotlight on Joey's RZR

Spotlight on Joey's hauler.

Spotlight thrown up in the night sky

Did I ever mention how much I love my spotlight?.... lol

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
As Lance said
We could write a best selling book..lol
The title would be..WTH is going to happen next
Stuck in Weed, Ca for 2 nights
This picture is along the freeway..in park the wind pushed out truck & trailer backwards

The freeway and Weed was a parking lot for trucks..the day before they had. A 60 car pileup in this area..blizzard conditions & 40-60 mph winds..

gotta love life

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're not use to driving in the snow..many of you are rolling your eyes at this monumental task we are undertaking here I'm sure.................

..........but our tow pig is a F-550, 2 wheel drive, 100 PSI air pressure in the skinny tires, no weight in bed pulling 9000# trailer in SNOWWWWwwwww!!

Nothing is stopping us now....not even winds

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where we camped at Ocotillo Wells was called TruckHaven. This is the 4x4 training area...no ATVs nor motorcycles are allowed inside the obstacle course, only full sizes rigs and UTVs are allowed. A run is in the distant behind sign........

.....another part of it, the tire obstacle. There was a lot more in the confines, but we were having too much fun to be picture taking ....haha

A few around the table. That's my son there on the right....... the far right......... on the ground........ with the lazer eyes......HotRod!

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
85,000 acres of every terrain thinkable. In this pic, we were about 500' elevation and shows the Salton Sea in the background. Our camp was dead-on at sea level and we rode a lot at over 100' BELOW sea level.

This is Shell Reef... big staging area and super fun with steep, off camber trails....

This is called the News Wall with hundreds of names carved into it

The Rock Garden. Again, hundreds of these stackings ( Barb will post a naughty one lol)

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kissing each others tops in the tunnel of looooooove

Rhino

Cow...both sizable animals, but could fit thru the arches.

Here's one mornings ride....just a tip of the iceberg.

And here's how all the days ended. Peace Out Mighty Riders.

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So we're on our way to Grays Well and stopped in Brawley to hit a Laundromat and stock up on groceries at Vons. The parking lot was too full for our setup so we parked in an adjoining property.

Got done shopping and BLR is wheeling the cart to our rig. I'm watching her as she suddenly is pushing very HARD on the cart, then the stupid think locks up on her. We finally had to pack bags and a lot of ice to the trailer giving cart the look of death. I then seen this sign and we laughed until we cried.....lol!!

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We were awestruck at the Mexico Border just a few dunes from our camp. It's said that it is buried as deep as it is high...WOW. Some others in camp went across the border into Mexico and had a couple shots of ToKillYa. We didn't chance it for 2 reasons..... didn't know if we could without passports and feared that we couldn't get back to US soils if we did enter!......

That's Joey on the quad.....he's still not gotten home to his wife and 3 little ones to this day as the Border Patrol nailed him at that spot, seized his Raptor and locked him up!!

( yes I'm joking...lol)

·
Registered
74 Posts
AWESOME you guys! Looks like you experienced just about everything on this trek! Love the pictures!!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.