1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have always been a Garmin man but the HDS-5 Baja looks pretty impressive. How is it for looking at the topo and mapping trails? I like to ride around 75 miles per day in rural areas like adventure parks and the mountain areas.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am still breaking in my XT and trying to place an accessories order with Robert at US 27 Motorsports. A good GPS is a must for my "exploring" rides in the West Virginia mountains.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Michael,

I received my HDS 5 Baja and the mount from Axia Alloys. I have not located any topo maps but the unit does have extended topo coverage. Do I need better topo maps? Lowrance seems to only carry lake and marine maps for the unit. Suggestions appreciated if anyone else uses this unt for trail riding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thought I would share this with all of you. Axia Alloys has come up with a pretty nice mount for the new Lowrance HDS-5 Baja GPS.

They are not on the Axia Alloys site yet, however, just give them a call if you are interested and Michael will be able to help you out.

Axia Alloys

Looks like it is on the Axia site now. Anybody know the OD of the grab bar on the passenger side and if using this mount you could see it from the drivers side?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are correct. These folks know GPS software. They will make an SD card for an area but they recommend buying the Mapcreate 7 software and making your own SC card for your area of interest. The software is pretty cheap now as Lowrance is about to announce a newer version soon with updated roads. However, topo is topo and a newer version will not change what I am looking for. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GPS Mounted

Got the GPS all mounted.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
That rocks Charlie.....I've been having fits with the Commander's whole dash design to install gauges and goodies on also.....installed a simple little rectangular Wego III AFR gauge and had to relocate the starter button and 12V recepticle to make it fit right....other than that high-value acreage for the snorkel kit and 3 blank switch areas, the dash doesn't lend itself for us goodie installers IMO.....your pretty well maxed out now, aren't you?.....

BTW, congrats for escaping out the prison tunnel and posting up.....:giggle:....Lance

·
Registered
37 Posts
I only have room for the Rugged Radio jacks next to the GPS and that's about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts