Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well I was goin to make a new thread but this one will do.
Finally made the time to get to work on my Commando and get some things installed. First on the list are my new Magnum Off-Road Customs.
Here are a few pics and some dialog.
First, let me say that the Fox bodies are a good place to start with any shock. Magnum takes it a step further by doing their own valving and springs. This picture demonstrates the difference in the quality and strength of design. Not only are there more coils but the springs are actually .030 thicker. Yes, I Mic'd them. But you can actually just see it. The shock ends are monster thick. Oh, the Rubber donuts in the shock-eyes on the OEM's were already comming apart in pieces. Yes, I can ride hard, but after 85 miles? Rediculous.

Next photo shows the increased amount of travel opportunity in the new shock. I didnt measure, but im eyeballing about 3/4".

Here it shows the installation and the clearance with the bed down.

Lastly, some of you had a question about the clearance of the axle with regard to the RonWood Exhaust system. Heres a good look. I think I would have to break the suspension in order to get the axle into the Can.

These shocks were an easy install. All the hardware you need comes in the box and its all first rate.
Well Daniel? How did I do? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great!!!

The OEM shock eye's tweak like that because the shocks are a hair too long for the application.

Let me know what you think after your first time out.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
@FlyingBryan,
Hehe,,, I havent left yet. Leaving early this evening and wont be back till next year. I know at least one of my buds has a video cam, but not the helmut kind, just regular, so I may be able to get at least a sound byte and a little action going for ya.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Have a great time Dave.
A outside video would be better anyway to see what the wheels are doing. If you come across a stock Commander and get a side by side video down some woops or rough area would be what I would love to see.
Happy New Year

·
Registered
305 Posts
Okay im not gonna do a write up on this post, but Ill tell you that I can gas it at 25 and spin the tires for quite a distance before it all settles in. (2-wheel drive) I am very impressed with the performance of all the new pieces. Shocks, Clutch, Pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dave, I was looking at putting this set up on an XT removing the rear sway bar, Installing a gorilla lift with gorilla rear axles and 30" silverbacks...Think this suspension w/o the sway bar would work well for offroad not so much dune racing?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Hey Dave, I was looking at putting this set up on an XT removing the rear sway bar, Installing a gorilla lift with gorilla rear axles and 30" silverbacks...Think this suspension w/o the sway bar would work well for offroad not so much dune racing?
Don't take this the wrong way
I am in no way bad mouthing them, just do some research, and see if anyone has had problems with lift & axles
I know that some peeps have had problems with the gorilla lift
Maybe do a search and see what you find & maybe they found a fix since this was an issue a few months ago

BTW welcome to the site..:)... from the coast of Oregon...Barbara

·
Registered
305 Posts
@CommanderCrowe,
I really dont think you can loose with these shocks on a stock Commander. But like Barb said. Be wary of the Lift Kit you purchase right now. More than one owner has had trouble with one brand or another.
Be sure you find out which ones are working and which ones are problems.
If I were you, I would call Daniel at Magnum and ask him what shocks would be good for your lift. These particulars arent the only shock they do. You might be better off with a Longer Travel Shock body with a different spring rate for all I know.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I am not a proponent of lift kits. The only thing they do is move the shock out closer to vertical. This method merely pushs the "A" arms down. That means your CVs are now at an angle that is very close to its limit causing premature wear or breakage. Long travel setup that uses longer "A" arms and Longer axels is the only way to do it properly. Long travel keeps the CV angles in their operating range and of cource also gives you better suspension and track stability. Do I like the current offering pricing, npo however I like broken axels out on the trail a lot less. The current OEM axle price is close to 500 bucks. So buyer beware!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts