Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my Commander back from getting the seal replaced on the primary drive that was spitting oil onto the clutches, they put a new belt on it at the same time. I understand that new belts have a certain "break-in" period as with everything else. I didn't flat-foot it or make any hard holeshots, however, it was hard to resist not opening it up a bit on the highway like railbeds on my ride. I noticed that it really didn't pull nowhere near what it usually does, it this due to the new belt or does the "maintenance required" cut power at all to the engine? The "maintenance required" wasn't on before I dropped it off at the dealer to be fixed but it is now. I doublechecked all fluids today before I took it out and everything was good to go.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The maintenance required message is just a reminder for service work and doesn't cut engine power. As long as it is out of limp mode, it should run as strong as before. Maybe the machine was about to display that msg before you took it in and rolled enough time when dealer had it to display? Rule of thumb for breaking in belts is to do as you mentioned, then let belt cool as one cycle, then repeat cycles 2-3 more times, then run as you normally would.

Engine power not feeling right is a mystery...maybe the dealer programmed your key for the 45 mph setting...lol....if your use to it being in sport mode and mechanic set switch into non sport, that would give the lack of power (responsiveness) feeling you mentioned IMO.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
They are referred to as heat cycles, so not necessarily miles so much as a good buildup of heating the belt and sheaves, then have a 20 minute bench racing session for cooling....no hard launches, no WOT for extended time, no jabbing the throttle while cruising, etc....be firm, but not abusive.

We run mostly sand. With the drag of sand, full paddles, short steep dunes to play on,we can build the heat up in 3 miles. If I had to do this on trails or roads, it may be 15 - 20 miles before a soda break....what you are doing is seasoning the rubber and cords.

The #1 cause for belts exploding in our UTVs is too much heat within the CVT cover, so take whatever steps you can to reduce it, whether it be mechanically with a blower fan or your driving style....it should be both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts