Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the CanAm world. 2015 Commander 1000 XT (front and back glass) just passed the break in maintenance period. Out riding yesterday, everything normal. little pavement a lot of dirt roads. Speeds 10-40mph. Buddy calls to help recover a deer. long story short- everything is good until we all load up- deer, coyote, buddy in tow. 1/4 mile I begin to smell something strange. think burning first so I stop and get out. nothing smells on outside. get back in and head out again. 200 yards down very rough terrain I smell again only more musty this time. Get rid of the yote and back to main road. no more smell. What gives?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Alway use low range crawling in these machines to help extend the cvt belt life, but I don't think that is what happened to you. My guess is all the extra weight in bed, probably tailgate was left down with weight on it also. When you were crawling out with all the weight, possibly being off camber leaning to either side, one or both rear tires could have been rubbing on some plastis or something else, heating up and started stinking. When you kicked your buddy Mr. Coyote out of bed, the lesser weight keep tire from rubbing anymore. Check the inside of rear tires, plastics etc when you park inside the shop to look for interference contact, keeping in mind a bunch of extra weight in the bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to CanAm world also. 15 XTP 1000 getting strong gas smell late in afternoon riding in AZ desert, nothing in early morning. Checked vent line seems fine. Any suggestions? Still under six month factory warrinty. New too site, not sure how to use it yet?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I can't remember where the vent line ends, but if it is underneath the dash/hood area like on the Mavericks, we add onto the end of it and run another piece of tubing up to the left side headlight area to solve the problem to get it out of the main airflow area.

As your feul level drops, there is more vapor in the tank...as it heats up, fumes expel out the vent line like they as suppose ro. The problem is with the vent outlet directly under the hood and with your travelling, and ESPECIALLY when the fan is on, blows the fumes into the engine tunnel....you're probably smelling this.....it is a big concern with the Mav guys, and gets solved with $1 worth of tubing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks LBR for getting back to me. I had an idea that was the problem, but with your explaniation and solution. I will use the fix...........thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts