Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inside temperature runs 25 degrees hotter than the outside temperatures. I read where some folks lined the consoles with a heat shield but I recently read about a product called dynamat. Any ideas. Currently, I cannot ride my commander when temperatures rise above 80 degrees as my inside temperature runs around 105. I am ready to try anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride in Alaska. An extra 25 degrees is a welcome thought when it's only 10F outside. I'm looking at putting vents in the engine cover with louvers I can open and close to get more heat in the cab. Sorry I don;t have an aswer for you...

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
My inside temperature runs 25 degrees hotter than the outside temperatures. I read where some folks lined the consoles with a heat shield but I recently read about a product called dynamat. Any ideas. Currently, I cannot ride my commander when temperatures rise above 80 degrees as my inside temperature runs around 105. I am ready to try anything.
If you're running any kind of a windshield, remove it. This cuts the heat greatly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
u could always do what i did, just a little diferent. I put a 3" bilage blower in the engine compartment with vents for heat. now u could just vent that heat to the back and blow it outside of ur machine. that should suck alot of ur heat out.....st

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used a roll of thermo-tec , pulled the plastics off the console and covered the inside. Most important put 2 or 3 layers on cup holder, keep your drinks cooler

·
Registered
34 Posts
u could always do what i did, just a little diferent. I put a 3" bilage blower in the engine compartment with vents for heat. now u could just vent that heat to the back and blow it outside of ur machine. that should suck alot of ur heat out.....st
scott, how is that working for you?

·
Registered
188 Posts
dynamat will work not only to reduce heat but noise also. I am using Thermo-Tec and have wrapped the pipes and muffler with the same materials from Thermo-Tec, it is quieter and no extra heat, it gets very hot in Utah in the summer.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thermo-Tec makes a number of products and one of them is the one I used and it is both sound and heat protection. As I understand Dynamat is more or less the same thing and I really don't know which is better. I lined all the covers around the engine with Thermo-Tech and even the CVT cover. I also lined the exhaust with wrap under the the same area. With that done I ride in the desert up to 100 degrees and it is fine. There is still a little heat but nothing like the heat you are talking about and I do know what you are talking about.

I will see if I can find the pictures and video.

Here is a video of what I used over a year ago and I have not been riding all that much but it is still holding up great.

In this photo you can see the area you do not want to cover. This is the cover under the driver seat and the one area is where it sits on the frame and the other is where it goes up against the seat support frame location. If that makes sense.

This was done more for the noise.

I also did the panel by the drivers right knee but that panel is not something you will take off so I just did what I could with it in place.

I got the Thermo-Tec from Jeggs.com.

Best of luck, it takes time but for me it was well worth it.

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Again Bryan, that is some top notch work you did on insulating ....perfect 10

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wrapped my cab around the engine with the dynamat. I double wrapped the trans. Wrapped my exhaust pipes with materials recommended by dynamat for the hot pipes and used a special coolant called ice in my radiator. It did reduce my temps and sound somewhat but I still run about 10 degrees above the outside temps. I call that successful based on the prior 25 degree difference.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
To set the stage with ours....BLR disliked the looks of the lower trunk tailgate from the rear and we had no use for the lower trunk compartment at all...the front of the lower compartment is a big hinderance to airflow out the engine tunnel...that being said:

Not that I encourage anyone to do this, but when I installed the Muzzy Race Exaust, I had to cut a front portion of the lower trunk box out for pipe clearancing.....the part that kinda butts up towards the whole back of the engine compartment....in doing so, it lets a huge amount of heat out when just setting still and the radiator fan kicks on (you can really feel the heat blast out right after the fan comes on while standing behind the machine)

And while travelling, now the whole engine tunnel, from under the hood all the way to back of motor, can let the heat escape much more effeciently...the faster BLR travels, the more of a low pressure draw effect it has on that area because it's straight through to the rear of the machine, where the low pressure area is the greatest ....

More pictures of this are here if interested 2011 Commander pictures by LBR5258 - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Thanks Lance and Jim

Lance look like you have a nice setup on Barbara Commander.

I am looking at using the lower compartment to hold my spare tire with a little mod to the front of the compartment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thermo-Tec makes a number of products and one of them is the one I used and it is both sound and heat protection. As I understand Dynamat is more or less the same thing and I really don't know which is better. I lined all the covers around the engine with Thermo-Tech and even the CVT cover. I also lined the exhaust with wrap under the the same area. With that done I ride in the desert up to 100 degrees and it is fine. There is still a little heat but nothing like the heat you are talking about and I do know what you are talking about.

I will see if I can find the pictures and video.

Here is a video of what I used over a year ago and I have not been riding all that much but it is still holding up great.
Cool It / ThermoTec on Commander - YouTube

In this photo you can see the area you do not want to cover. This is the cover under the driver seat and the one area is where it sits on the frame and the other is where it goes up against the seat support frame location. If that makes sense.

This was done more for the noise.

I also did the panel by the drivers right knee but that panel is not something you will take off so I just did what I could with it in place.

I got the Thermo-Tec from Jeggs.com.

Best of luck, it takes time but for me it was well worth it.

Bryan
thx Bryan. exelent vidio it will be alot of help to alot of us.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice work on the Therma-Tec. With that installed on the CVT wil lit not keep heat in the CVT? I know on the BRP Sleds we are always drilling out the CVT(CLUTCH) covers to allow the clutches to cool better. Commander is new to me so not sure how that CVT vents... I see the intake for it.

Great install on the muzzy exhaust... looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Nice work on the Therma-Tec. With that installed on the CVT wil lit not keep heat in the CVT? I know on the BRP Sleds we are always drilling out the CVT covers to allow the clutches to cool better. Commander is new to me so not sure how that CVT vents... I see the intake for it.

Great install on the muzzy exhaust... looks sharp.
Your right the CVT belt might not release heat out of the cover as easy, but the way it is set up with the exhaust pipe so close I think it is keeping it cooler in this case. The wrap may be one of the best things you can do to keep the belt cooler because after era ing the pipe it is WAY cooler, so much you can touch the pipe within minutes after shutting down after era ing the pipe.

I also bought the BRP CVT blower kit that I will install at some point to help more with the belt cooling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your right the CVT belt might not release heat out of the cover as easy, but the way it is set up with the exhaust pipe so close I think it is keeping it cooler in this case. The wrap may be one of the best things you can do to keep the belt cooler because after era ing the pipe it is WAY cooler, so much you can touch the pipe within minutes after shutting down after era ing the pipe.

I also bought the BRP CVT blower kit that I will install at some point to help more with the belt cooling.
Good infor.. thanks Brian. Will look into some Therma tec soon and I am familiar with the pipe wrap as I use it on the turbo downpipes when we mod up the turbo diesel trucks as they create a lot of heat and high EGT's under the hood. The only issue i have seen with the pipe wrap is that when it gets wet and the engine is shut off it really holds the moisture on the pipe and I have seen some rot out that got wet a lot. So i guess the ideal situation is not to get it wet washing your Commander or don't turn it off after the pipe gets wet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts