Can-Am Commander Forums banner

New Drive Belt

15K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  wingshooter 
#1 ·
I ordered a new Drive Belt from Mission Motor Sports here in the OC.
They charged me just under $200.00 Ouch!!
Im gonna get into the Clutch cover pretty soon and see whats up and why I am redlining at 55mph, while Tim @SDR is getting 68mph with the identical machine and set-up. I didnt expect 73mph on Paddles in the Sand but I feel something is definately wrong. Me and my buddies <all fat arses> thrashed my machine pretty good and it graded out all A's accept in the Top End. I have a feeling that I may have glazed the belt. More on this later.

#2 ·
Ouch, that belt price does seem a little steep! Is your plan to tear it down once the belt arrives or are you going to get a few more miles on your factory belt? I do not believe the Commander has a self-adjusting belt like the Rhino so I wonder if your belt was not tensioned correctly from the dealer? Will be interested to hear what you see once you tear it down.

#4 ·
Gosh that still seems steep, granted I have never owned a Can-Am product, therefore, that might be normal. Then again, it has been a while since I replaced my Terxy belt so mine may be just as much, lol.

#6 ·
From looking at the part number for the belt on the BRP site, it is the same as the outlander. That being said you can get a Dayco XTX2236 belt which alot of people trust in, plus you can get it for about half the cost of an OEM belt from Can Am. I think mine was $80 plus shipping. Just throwing that out there for anyone else looking to snag an extra belt, or if you need to get another one down the road.

#8 ·
With LBR's Rhino we have only used OEM, and the only belt that we went thru was LBR's own fault (a year of abuse forwards & backward)...so for that purpose I will only use OEM, not saying that anything is wrong with the other ones.
Depends on what & where your using your car.

#10 ·
the factory commander and XMR belt is a different belt than the normal outlander and renegade. the commander and XMR belts are thicker, and heavier duty than the normal ATV belt. the highlifter 3GX and the dayco extreme duty belts are the same, and are very similar in make-up and compound as the factory BRP belt at a fraction of the cost. the highlifter 3GX belt is also warrantied, i believe for 1 year against defect. if you blow it up, it only costs you $20 to get a new one if i am not mistaken.

the belts are going to blow on the commanders, it is the nature of the beast. the BRP clutch is barely able to handle the ATVs and when you put the same clutch on the commander, you are asking for trouble. BRP has a clutch that will slip the inner and outer sheaves independently, which will chew the belt up, and with the weight and power of the commander added together, you have a belt destroying monster. i have 3 of my CVtech clutches on the commanders and all three owners boast about how awesome it is on the commander. lower initial gearing for better slow speed and technical riding, taller overdrive ratio for more top speeds in low and high range, better throttle response, and no silly belt issues. it may take a little time, but i will have a few more clutches on the commanders soon, and i think there will be some real world feedback on how much better this clutch i have does over stock. out of the 3 i have sold to commander owners, two of them had blown a belt within 60 miles of ownership, and upgraded to my clutch to eliminate the hassles of blown belts.

#20 ·
Adam, the Commander belt is the 07-09 BRP Outty/Gade Team X race belt. We run the Dayco 3GX belts on our Commanders and have had ZERO issues since we went to your clutch.

#12 ·
the clutch i sell is a drive clutch that replaces the primary, yes it retains the one-way bearing feature! the clutch along with my machining and setup is $750. that is the complete new primary ready to bolt on to your machine. i have done adequate testing to ensure i know exactly what each setup does on the commander and i can dial in a clutch to meet your needs and ship it to you. for max gains, i reccomend you ship in your secondary clutch for machining. in order to get the max gains out of the whole CVT your secondary needs to be machined as well. this will allow the secondary to close up more, properly tensioning the belt to completely eliminate the "loose belt" syndrome that also wreaks havoc on belts commonly seen on all other slip-n-grip clutches. i have sold many of my clutch setups for can-am ATVs, some with well over 100HP, and never have had a single belt issue with any of the clutches i have sold

#15 ·
Welcome to CommanderTalk from Oregon Airdam....the reviews of the CVtech clutch is quite high amongst the Rotaxed Rhino crowds that I forum-party with.....sounds like a great unit.....

Do you have a part # for the upgraded BRP Commander belt?...our dealership states the belts are exactly the same part #...:unsure:.... so I would like to inform them nicely otherwise.....Thanx, Lance

#16 ·
unfortunately i do not have the part numbers. BRP has not listed everything yet. i have worked on the new XMRs and commanders and the belts are definitely not the same. you can inform your dealer he needs to stop listening to what that little screen tells him and go pick up a wrench and look for himself

#25 ·
AIRDAM

You talk about loose belt syndrome, is the stock clutch adjustable? I don't know much about these clutches, I had a Praire 650 when they first came out lots of belt problems so I had to learn how to work on it. That one was adjustable with shims, but it took a new sheeve to fix the real problem. I have an 800 outy and have never had a proble in over 4000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.