Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am in the process of selling my Rzr 900XP, and will most likely replace it with a Commander. I have been doing some research and see a lot of people complaining about differential whine. Most of these were older posts, so I am curious if Can Am has addressed the issue. I love side-by-sides, but my biggest peeve about them is drive train noise. We have had a Teryx a Rzr 800 S and then the XP. The XP was the quietest of the three, but just not as user friendly as we would like. My wife and I were yelling at each other in the Teryx at anything over 15 mph, because of all the drive train whine. Looking for something more utility based, but still has good power, hence a Commander. Thanks for any replies about the overall quietness, or lack thereof in the newer Commanders. Unfortunately, I have no way to test drive a new one.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The first 3 years or so had noisy rearends, but the newer years are much quieter, altho I've not driven the newer one. Most any midship machine will be noiser than rear engined machines. BRP has belt and clutch noise for sure. Extra sound deadening inside of engine side and top covers helps a lot more, plus an exterior cover that fits over the engine cover helps even more for noise and heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first 3 years or so had noisy rearends, but the newer years are much quieter, altho I've not driven the newer one. Most any midship machine will be noiser than rear engined machines. BRP has belt and clutch noise for sure. Extra sound deadening inside of engine side and top covers helps a lot more, plus an exterior cover that fits over the engine cover helps even more for noise and heat.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was hoping to hear. I will be picking up a new 1000 XT tomorrow morning and can't wait. The sales guy mentioned using Dynamat or similar to help quiet it down as well. In fact about an hour ago he sent me a pic of it. Looks pretty cool without shocks....

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Yes it does!

In the first years, BRP designed the rearend ring and pinion as straight cut gears, for added strength is the guess...they were noisy when new and most all rattled and self destructed in a few thousand miles. When the Maverick came out, it was a beefier rearend with good ole bevel/spirial cut gears. The entire Mav rearend was swapped in the Commander frame at first and was the ticket....a company even made an entire swap kit for that Mavy rear. Then BRP went to a spiral cut geared redesigned Commander rearend and they lived happily ever after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rear difff is a problem. Not only does it have straight cut gears which make it very noisy it's also locked all the time. Which makes it harder to turn when on the pavement. Has anyone looked into using the diff from the XT w/elect lock??? The mav swap would help but it's still locked. Can the Mav gear set be used in the Commander case??

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The rear difff is a problem. Not only does it have straight cut gears which make it very noisy it's also locked all the time. Which makes it harder to turn when on the pavement. Has anyone looked into using the diff from the XT w/elect lock??? The mav swap would help but it's still locked. Can the Mav gear set be used in the Commander case??
3 others had looked into the electric lock rear and after doing the math said best thing to do is sell their Commander and buy one with the electric lock...apparently pretty spendy to just buy the rearend for swapping.

Not 100% sure if Mav ring and pinion can swap into the Commander case.... but looking at the rearend size difference, I would think the Mav set is larger (while still retaining the same ratio)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts