Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to Can Am and I'm interested in purchasing a 2012 Can Am Commander Limited. I'm also interested in the Factory UTV uhmw skid plates, and the Camoplast Tatou UTV 4S tracks for the Commander. Any words of wisdom(good, bad, or otherwise) on these ideas would be great! Thanks for your input. So far, I'm enjoying all the experience here in the forum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought a Can Am Commander 2012 1000X and I really like the fit and functions of the UTV Skid Plates. I mostly ride in real rocky areas where speed is not so much the factor, but protection of coming down hard on a rock or having a downed tree coming up as you run over it causing damage to your machine are a real issue. If I was a sand dune rider I would not worry about them as much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhmw skid plates

I bought a Can Am Commander 2012 1000X and I really like the fit and functions of the UTV Skid Plates. I mostly ride in real rocky areas where speed is not so much the factor, but protection of coming down hard on a rock or having a downed tree coming up as you run over it causing damage to your machine are a real issue. If I was a sand dune rider I would not worry about them as much.
Hi MCM,

Thanks for the note! I like the uhmw skid plate idea even more now! Factory UTV has a 1/2" one piece I'm interested in. The forward end of the one piece is bent/folded up at a 90 degree angle at or near the area where the lateral plates should be to prevent debris from getting between the plate and the machine. There is the higher shipping costs associated with this rather large piece, however.

I don't have this dream machine yet, hopefully I'm not going to be disappointed with this machine. It feels pretty good so far!

·
Registered
188 Posts
On the multiple piece skid plates the front also comes up and on my machine when installing I had to remove the fair lead for the winch and the front bumper to install it because you need to connect two bolts up there. It fits together real well and the plates have groves where they connect and overlap each other. Just so you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plates

On the multiple piece skid plates the front also comes up and on my machine when installing I had to remove the fair lead for the winch and the front bumper to install it because you need to connect two bolts up there. It fits together real well and the plates have groves where they connect and overlap each other. Just so you know.
Thanks MCM!

I'll keep that in mind for when that time comes! Thanks again for the install tip!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
$$$!

Limited? Geez Moneybags!
Hi jblack!
I figured that if we're going for it, we might as well go for broke! You only go around the block once, right?!?! Better have some fun before its all over!

Remember Judge Reinhold in the movie "Ruthless People?" There's a part in the movie where he tells a couple that "If you can't afford it, f###** finance it!" ha ha ha! Maybe that's the case here....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I cant say I blame ya. Definitely a rather expensive hobby any way you look at it. If you dont mind, let me know how that stereo does in the field when you get it. I was actully thinking about having the factory stereo installed in my XT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I cant say I blame ya. Definitely a rather expensive hobby any way you look at it. If you dont mind, let me know how that stereo does in the field when you get it. I was actully thinking about having the factory stereo installed in my XT.
Jblack,

I'll let you know how that stereo works out in the field when the machine gets here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True that. Ive already added the roof and half windshield. I figure the shade and windbreak might come in handy. Is it ok that im still afraid to get in muddy? Ha. Think I just need a little time to let the shine wear off before I drive it through a pond.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.