Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a new 2013 commander 1000xt on saturday. this thing has tons of power. what are the best accessarys to get? full windshield or half? hard top or soft. don't want a face full of dirt out in the field like some gators i've been on. dealer said back window will cure that problem. any sugestions? oh and love the power steering. thanks

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Welcome aboard and Congrates on the new Toy. As far as accessarys go the skys the limit. It truly comes down to personal preference. From what you have mentioned, the Half or whole windshield holds a lot of heat in the cab. Great in the winter, sucks in the summer. Definatly a hard top as your first rollover (and you will) can attest to the advantage. BTW a set of 2" wheel spacers will greatly inprove the machines stability.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Welcome to CT farmboy... as stated, accessories are a personal preference for each set of owners. Since you just purchased and are up in the air with questions, I will suggest to buy nothing at the moment and put some miles on it with the Mrs. and get familiar with the forums. Then start accessorising.

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forum - from one farmboy to another! :)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have to second the 2" spacers.

Sounds like a roof is high on your list so if you want something that will hold up hitting trees and rollover go with a hard top. But if you want to be able to take it off quick on warm days maybe a soft top. I have found you really don't want to toe the Commander with a soft top because they seem to wear out quick doing that. If going with a hard top you can go a lot of different directions. I have a custom made aluminum top that works great. I still have a soft top too.

Other than that just take it out and get things as you need them. Maybe a tool bag with toe strap and a few tools just incase.

Welcome aboard
Bryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. i'm definatly going to get the 2in spacers as this will help the machine stradle 30 in. crop rows. i must admit i was a little disappointed this weekend. i took those silly side webbings off and to get at the bottom bolts i had to remove all the plastic covers that are held on by those push darts. what a joke. After 20 years of riding ski-doos and raving about the fit and finish of those machines, i was extremely disappointed. i managed to get them all back in but the 2 by the kick panel where u get in and out aren't holding anything. there, i got that off my chest. my words in the shop yesterday were not so eloquent! i was serious ly considering the half windshield but have been reading where the bend is right in line of view. might have to sit in one first. sorry for the rant

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
We here you on the push clips, but after you get used to them, they grow on you. I didn't care for them at forest but I like having my plastic pry bar clip removal tool and getting the commander apart in minutes. But the design of the one clip tha always catches on the glove box and the slot to get the driver lower strap out are strange they didn't correct after seeing the problem. The same problem is still on the Maverick too.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Here are the pry tools I use to get the push clips out.
You can find them all over and in different colors. For about $7 to $10 for this set.
I bought 5 sets and use them all the time. I keep on in the Commander glove box. The middle tool in the picture is the one I use 95% of the time.

Here is the link if you want to order these from Harbor freight or Jeggs. Same thing but maybe different color.

$20 from Jeggs
JEGS Composite Non-Mar Pry Bar Set - JEGS

$7 from Harbor Freight.
5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey farmboy and Bryan, here's my $.02 - these pliers are pretty easy to use also. :)

Push Pin Pliers

OOPS! It appears this is already posted in another thread. Humblest apologies... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Farmboy, Guess I will throw my thoughts out there. What you hear about the half window is correct. I will be getting a full widow soon. I do believe you will need something on the rear. I too have experienced that dust and dirt whipping back around on our gator. The rear window cured it. We have a soft top on the commander. Great for easy off and on but, in less than a year it is stretched and faded. (I dont recommend a pro-armor soft top) We are moving to the hard top. Also I believe the soft top wont work with any light bar. I agree on the tools and strap. When people see the commander they dont hesitate to ask you to pull them out. Its a BEAST

·
Registered
188 Posts
welcome Farmboy, I love my commander x I have not purchased a windshield yet and have been looking at folding windshields, tilt windshields and the full windshield. The reason for the first two is that the commander does put out some heat that is great when you are in a cool climate but sucks when it is over 90 where you are riding and the full windshield will keep more of that heat on you. I had a soft top made by Tite Top it was a real nice product but like other people say do not trailer it with it on, the last time I went riding I was the last to leave and I forgot to take it off and drove over two hundred miles with it still on the machine much of that at 80 mph or above as there are long areas of the interstate in Utah that are posted 80 mph. It was split the top and ruined it, totally my fault not the product itself. I ordered a hard top which I just received yesterday and will put that on. I am a paraplegic and it is hard to put on the soft top and take it back off by myself, so I decided on the hard top. Everyone has their own idea of what they like so it depends on if you like the sun on your head or not, if not a hard top is probably a better buy. Good luck with your machine and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I drive a lot of mountain trails that are fairly narrow so I have not put the spacers on my machine and I am extremely surprised how I have not rolled it a few times. The one time that was real close was a stupid hey guys watch this moment, still can't figure out how I ended up sideways on the trail with only two wheels touching ground, but I did it. Damn no one was filming at the time it might have gone viral.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after much thought and research i went with a half windshield that was from an aftermarket company, can't remember the name, and the crease is noticable but i am thinking most of the time i will be looking over it. i went with the can-am soft plastic back window, it fits good and tight, maybe a little too tight as when i put the seats back in the screws on the back of seats really gouge the plastic window. i can move the drivers side up a little but passanger seat is real tight. thinking of some sort of homemade rubber covers for the screw heads. i also went with the "tite top" soft top, it seems to fit very nicely and is easy to take off and on. thanks for the heads up mcmantim on the trailering. so anyway that is what i got on her and can't wait to try it out this spring. oh yea and the 2" spacers from super atv. she looks bad ash.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hope you enjoy the ride I love my commander Another thing you can do on the tite top is go to a hardware store and buy a plastic or fiberglass rod like those used to hold up reflectors at the end of a driveway and slide it into the front end of the tite top where they have made an overlap for that purpose. It just makes the front edge more rigid which can be good for low branches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the replys. i plan on getting the fiberglass rod for the top, and the velcro idea sounds like it will work perfectly. one more ? What is this Low range sport switch? will this overide the fan to push hot air out? is it like a pc5?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No it gives you all the power in low range. Sport mode only works in high range. Low range is 70% power.
so the low range sport switch and the fan overide switch are two different things? where can a person get these switches? sorry but i'm confused.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts