Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i have never bought anything but honda atv's my whole life. The commander is a whole new world for me. my question is, i have a roof, visor and windshield installed and currently on a trip. Its running great but around 40mph you can hear the system whine a bit and then quit after 40ish. and nothing before 40ish. im sure sound is amplified with roof etc, and prob normal just need to confirm it. and just like letting off gas around and higher speeds. whine and prob normal with everything speeding down? runs great and love it. just never had a cvt setup.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
You are always going to hear sounds out of the CVT ...they are some what noisy ....as you drive, the primary and secondary sheaves have a death clamp on your belt which also creates the whirring sound.....I seriously don't think you should worry unless the sound gets worse... Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I c you on here a lot and figured you would know. I kinda figured that and with the cab all covered with the addons im sure its amplified. We are having a blast with it. And thank you barbara we are glad to be in the commander world. I had knee surgery a year ago and its much more easy to drive this thing than putting stress on my knee from a 4 wheeler. And we love it even more.
jim

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
IMO, a good clutch maintenance idea that the book doesn't have in it is this....

Lend your ear to the CVT inlet when the Commander clutch system is well warmed up from use.....let engine idle and listen to your CVT assembly .....don't panic when you hear those ungodly noises tho ..lol ....but remember the sounds and loudness ....then as the hundreds of miles and hours increase, keep a listen to it for any dramatic tone or loudness changes for the worst .....

I just had a thought for a thread here ....short audio video clips of everyone's CVT noises, then we could discuss abnormalities between them.... Hmmmm?? ..... Lance

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well today we had over 120 miles heading back to the hotel. 60 miles from the hotel we heard a pop and then air. yep. tire. rear tire let go. wth? we were a half mile from grand marais thank god but still 60 miles out. guy happen to hear me talking i came from munising and he was heading back that way. rode with him while wife stayed w machine. needless to say with 200 miles on the tires im not happy. big horn 2.0 27x11x14and no one has one. the sidewall has 6 holes in it perfectly spaced.im sure i will be having it out with can am over this one when i take it in next sat for the 10hr service. hey barbara we ride in MI upper peninsula.I WILL GET THIS TIRE WARRANTIED............

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well looks like i will have to fight with customer service to get the tire warrantied. Wonder if its even worth it. I put it in for the 10 hr service and ordered trail safety items such as, SPARE TIRE WITH RIM, extra cvt belt, cvt clutch tool, and have jumper cables as well. Have ratchets and sockets all wrapped up in the glove box with extensions. I think im trail covered. Next trip 4 days in sept back to munising to finish my ride. MAybe i should just call maxxis direct?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Well looks like i will have to fight with customer service to get the tire warrantied. Wonder if its even worth it. I put it in for the 10 hr service and ordered trail safety items such as, SPARE TIRE WITH RIM, extra cvt belt, cvt clutch tool, and have jumper cables as well. Have ratchets and sockets all wrapped up in the glove box with extensions. I think im trail covered. Next trip 4 days in sept back to munising to finish my ride. MAybe i should just call maxxis direct?
That's what I need to do is load more tools on ours.....but we're usually not too far from our rig when we play in the sand....trail riding definately gets you mega-miles from your support vehicle tho.....Lance

·
Registered
19 Posts
well today we had over 120 miles heading back to the hotel. 60 miles from the hotel we heard a pop and then air. yep. tire. rear tire let go. wth? we were a half mile from grand marais thank god but still 60 miles out. guy happen to hear me talking i came from munising and he was heading back that way. rode with him while wife stayed w machine. needless to say with 200 miles on the tires im not happy. big horn 2.0 27x11x14and no one has one. the sidewall has 6 holes in it perfectly spaced.im sure i will be having it out with can am over this one when i take it in next sat for the 10hr service. hey barbara we ride in MI upper peninsula.I WILL GET THIS TIRE WARRANTIED............
I was in munsing two week ago and my friend got a hole in tire first day out and me 2nd day out not sure what we are hitting on the trail? Can am come with just 4 ply tires these tires ARE NOT BIGHORN THEY are copy cats! True bighorn are 6 ply tire I just order a new set of 8 ply tire and will say good by the the junk big horn 4 ply!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got lucky when the tire blew. if it would of let go 30 miles back. there was no house, phone signal, nothing at all but lake superior. well i guess i wouldnt of went thirsty.lol. me and the wife would of been hoofing it. first and last time i would ever atv alone with no other machines. I do have an email in to brp customer care now. So we shall see what they decide on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in munsing two week ago and my friend got a hole in tire first day out and me 2nd day out not sure what we are hitting on the trail? Can am come with just 4 ply tires these tires ARE NOT BIGHORN THEY are copy cats! True bighorn are 6 ply tire I just order a new set of 8 ply tire and will say good by the the junk big horn 4 ply!
What trail were you riding on out of munising? im going to run lower tire pressure. down to 8lbs vs 12. you both had blowouts? dumb question but both on commanders as well?

·
Registered
19 Posts
friends was a new rzr 900. Talked to atv outfitters and he was telling me the ones on the commander are not the same one we buy aftermarket. 4 ply vrs 6ply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yep they say 4 ply right on them. we are lookng at the itp mudlites. had them on my rancher. bad ass. 6 ply. inch wider on front and inch wider on rear. 486.00 bucks shipped free. wife is the one bringing up the idea to get them. how bout that.lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with all the stories online im finding im wondering about class action? i will be making a call next week. im also hearing the 2012 commanders are getting 6 ply tires? if this is true they must know of an issue

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Yeah, it's been a few months since I read the sidewall, but I think ours did say 6 ply rating, not just 6 ply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got a reply from customer service. they said yes to replacing the tire since it was a sidewall fail. they said rest assured we are here to make sure i have the best experience here at brp. Im happy they replaced that but i still believe they know of a problem with the tires they are not releasing yet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts