Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How was your holiday vacation? I will apologize upfront for being long winded with this post.

My vacation started off by getting stuck in a traffic jam for 4 hours between Washington DC and Baltimore because of a pre-Christmas snow storm on 12/17. City folks can't drive :furious:

20 hours later I finally make it back home to the Great White North (Northern Maine). Week 1 - too busy with holiday stuff to take the Commander out of storage.

Fast forward to New Years day. I finally roll the Commander out of storage only to find out that the battery shorted out and melted because of the hold down strap making contact with the positive terminal. Ok now I am screwed because its a holiday and there is no way the dealer will be open.:furious:

As I am ranting about the battery, my wife calls the dealer and somebody actually anwsered the phone. The owner and one of the mechanics had been at the shop to deliver a snowmobile to an out of state customer. The owner says he will hang out until I arrive and swap out batteries. :spin:

Fast forward - I replace the battery and the Commander starts right up. by this time it's getting dark but I HAVE to drive it because I am scheduled to head back to DC.

My wife and I start out on a short trip through some potato fields. There wasn't much snow on the ground due to some earlier rain but in several places the drifts across the field roads were 2-3 feet deep. I started blasting through the drifts without any problems but my wife says I'm going too fast and like a good husband :unsure: I listened to her and backed off the gas.
I'm sure you can guess what happened next - yes we got stuck in a drift

The snow was pretty packed and my little folding shovel wasn't wasn't cutting it and I didn't have a winch. I finally give up and call my father-in law who comes to the rescue with my Hummer and pulls us out. By the time we got pulled out, the temp was dropping and the wife wanted to go home. We headed back to the house but I did NOT slow down at all during the ride home.

OK - I know some of you are yawning as you read this but I am almost done. Fast forward to the following Monday. I drive over to my father-in laws house (where I store the Commander) to clean the Commander up before I put it back in storage and as I am getting out of my Hummer, I slipped on the ice (yes - rain + cold temp = ICE) and land flat on my back. 5 hours later and a trip to the ER, I find out I fractured one of my Lumbar Vertebrae and I will be out of work for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.

Hope your New Year started off better than mine.:cry:

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
That is just a sad story..:(...
and I thought I had a rough start to the new year rolling once and flopping once the Cah-Mandi...
on the bright side you got it all done in the winter so you should be up and going by the end of Feb...just in time for the weather to get better...:unsure:
I try and always look at the postive side, but sometimes there just isn't one

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Hope your New Year started off better than mine.:cry:
What a trooper you are John...wishing everyone a good year after all of that....

All I can come up with right now is get rested up on your down time, cause your next va-cay, you have some serious makeup riding to do!...In fact, we'll put on 30-40 miles some day just for you....hope you feel better now!?....:yeah:...Lance

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a trooper you are John...wishing everyone a good year after all of that....

All I can come up with right now is get rested up on your down time, cause your next va-cay, you have some serious makeup riding to do!...In fact, we'll put on 30-40 miles some day just for you....hope you feel better now!?....:yeah:...Lance
Thanks Barbara and Lance. I do feel a bit better :)

I figure that while I am out of commission, I will try and be productive. As you might have noticed from my signature line, I have started a blog for ATV and SxS news and info. That should keep me busy for awhile.

I am also putting together my "must have" accessory list for the summer riding season. Now that the snowmobile trails are officially groomed, ATV's & SxS's are banned from the trails until May unless they have tracks. (hmm - maybe I will add tracks to my list).

Happy trails :)

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I noticed that about your blog... I'm now one of you followers well I should say our company is ...Honeyman Nursery & Landscaping..

It's always good to put your mind to work during the down time...:D:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why you poor Dawg! Not only did you have Commando probs but you fell and injured yourself.
Think of it this way. It can only get better from here.
Good Luck with your recovery and done piss off the wife too much being around the house all the time lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why you poor Dawg! Not only did you have Commando probs but you fell and injured yourself.
Think of it this way. It can only get better from here.
Good Luck with your recovery and done piss off the wife too much being around the house all the time lol.
Thanks Dave. Actually shes happy I'm around. If I didn't have my accident I would be back in DC working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts