Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay Okay, I know, Read the manual.
Im not even sure i know where it is at the moment.
Just need a few questions.
Do I now have to take out the passenger-side engine access panels to get at the Oil Filler? S#!%
Drain is on the bottom of the case right?
Have to remove another skid panel below too then?
If its just a smallish hole down there then I will take the time to remove. Ive had experience where drain oil wants to go everywhere acccept down thru the hole. :( Yuch.
Okay im prepping for a trip now with lots of other stuff to do besides Commando stuff. If someone might just give me a few answers I would be very grateful.

Thank You,
Dave

Edit: Never mind. Took out the seat and saw the oil filler cap. Sorry for the worthless post.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Okay Okay, I know, Read the manual.
Im not even sure i know where it is at the moment.
Just need a few questions.
Do I now have to take out the passenger-side engine access panels to get at the Oil Filler? S#!%
Drain is on the bottom of the case right?
Have to remove another skid panel below too then?
If its just a smallish hole down there then I will take the time to remove. Ive had experience where drain oil wants to go everywhere acccept down thru the hole. :( Yuch.
Okay im prepping for a trip now with lots of other stuff to do besides Commando stuff. If someone might just give me a few answers I would be very grateful.

Thank You,
Dave

Edit: Never mind. Took out the seat and saw the oil filler cap. Sorry for the worthless post.
Glad to see you answered your own question...:):)..Barbara

·
Registered
49 Posts
oil pressure low message

I still have a low oil pressure message on my readout once in awhile when I start mine does anybody else have this problem.Started after I changed oil useing 5w40 oil in it.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I still have a low oil pressure message on my readout once in awhile when I start mine does anybody else have this problem.Started after I changed oil useing 5w40 oil in it.
5w40 is a great weigh to run IMO ....how cold is it where your at?....Lance....sent via TapaTalk

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Well it's 6.1 f right now outside lol but the commander is always in the heated shop at 50 -60 f.
Ok...thought maybe the oil was way cold when started and took a few seconds longer than most to build pressure ...

can you expound a bit more on how long after starting it takes to quit the message? Every time you start it or occassionally.?

Dont use another brand of filter except a genuine BRP filter....I absolutely will not use the generic filters that CanAm tries to sell me to save a little money .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welll one thing I did do on the change is run the motor after I drained most of the oil out. I looked into the bucket being used and felt that there just wasnt enough used oil in it. I started the motor for 15 - 20 seconds and shut it down. Sure enough alot more oil flowed out. I repeated the process once again and finally the Low Oil warning appeared.
Oh, there was, what I thot, a significant amount of metal sludge stuck to my drain plug magnet. All of it was quite fine, so Im assuming that this is normal for break-in.
I noticed one of my bolts and hardware for my skidplate was missing. I made sure while underneath that all were tightened up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It has an oem filter on it and it does it after it sits for a few days.I just started it and I let the idiot lights cycle on then go out before I started it and it took probably took 2-3 seconds for the light to go out after it lit and just a couple more seconds and it will throw a low oil pressure code because it did that once and went into limp home mode and then went back to normal after oil press was sensed.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
It has an oem filter on it and it does it after it sits for a few days.I just started it and I let the idiot lights cycle on then go out before I started it and it took probably took 2-3 seconds for the light to go out after it lit and just a couple more seconds and it will throw a low oil pressure code because it did that once and went into limp home mode and then went back to normal after oil press was sensed.
That sounds normal ....takes a couple seconds to get oil pressure to turn out the light ...here's two guesses and pure speculation ...

The ECU can tell when the engine starts running by the frequency of the spark plugs firing ...then your oil pressure light goes out after 2-3 seconds ....maybe that time interval is too long for the ECU to be happy because of colder oil and throws code....or.....

The ECU times from when the oil pressure light goes out to the time the ECU senses, say 15 lbs oil pressure.....if that duration is too long it throws a code ...

Even tho your garage is 50* or so, the oil is prolly colder from the concrete floor?? Just for giggles, I'd keep a 60 Watt light under the engine 24/7 facing upwards to preheat my oil.....see if that takes care of the code issue or not this winter....

If not, notify dealer to get the issue documented for any future engine damage / wear that could be attributed to lack of oil pressure ....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...

·
Registered
69 Posts
My check engine light will come on for 2-3 seconds after it starts then goes off, had low oil pressure come on for just a few seconds one time when it was 26 degrees and it was the first time I started it that day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So did it enter a maintinance required code on your screen?It did on mine when it entered the limp home mode and now I have to take it to my dealer to get it cleared.I did clear the first maintinance code acording to the manual but now I have this one.This new code of low oil pressure should be burned into the computer chip so my dealer will know about it won't it, and if anything happens during the warranty time it should be covered right.Sort of makes ya wonder if u should get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine said maintinance required before this happened I think it is programmed for the 10 hour checkup to say that. I am waiting for my dealer to get the kit to fix the clunk noise and have them check the valves. I did all the oils myself. It did not enter limp mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it says maintinance required it is a burned in problem in the computer that something has happened out of the parameters of safety and has to be reset by an authorized dealer.According to the om if it says maintiance soon that can be reset by the owner as per page 58 in the om.This is what I understand from what I have read.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Limp Mode

It did on mine when it entered the limp home mode and now I have to take it to my dealer to get it cleared.
I was in Limp Mode,,(long dumb story), and after topping off the oil, it would not leave limp mode. Since I knew the oil was full, I decided to just drive it and limp mode cleared itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes my limp mode cleared it self when the computer found that there was not still a problem but it still has the maintinance required code in it probably so the dealer can see what the code was all about when he clears it and if it is ur problem or there's, when **** goes bad.`

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine went in to Limp mode 2x during the break in period. Drove it about 100 yards each time and it cleared itself. Hasn't happened in a while.

I get the low oil msg about every 5 starts or so. It goes out after <5 seconds so I don't sweat it too much. I just make sure I check my oil every couple of rides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess what im trying to figure out, is there something set to close in the paramaters or is it an op problem that should be checked out.Maybe I should see where u can install an op guage and watch that maybe there is just some air in the system from bleed back when the engine is shut down.Guess im just use ta seeing op on startup like a big eng.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess what im trying to figure out, is there something set to close in the paramaters or is it an op problem that should be checked out.Maybe I should see where u can install an op guage and watch that maybe there is just some air in the system from bleed back when the engine is shut down.Guess im just use ta seeing op on startup like a big eng.
An oil pressure gauge would work, but only if you knew what the "normal" oil pressure reading should be. I installed an analog gauge on my Rhino, which worked OK, but if I ever do install a gauge on my Commander I will definitely go with a digital gauge.

A gauge set wouldn't be a bad idea. Any volt, temp, or oil pressure problems might throw the Commander in to the "Limp Home" mode, right? Having these gauges sure would make it easier to figure out where to start looking.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
The usable dash area for gauges and other accessories is very limited on the Commander....not much surface area that is flat to mount stuff on....I would like to hear from a vendor or peep if there might be one multi-function gauge for water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volts and (??)....one gauge that can monitor all facets of our engine displayed at once...

yes, it wouldn't be as easy to glance at the values running at 60 MPH as multi-2" gauges, but it would be a nice option to have for us who would like one gauge instead of 4 or 5-2" gauges....the only place for gauges really is the snorkle cubby.........Lance

1 - 20 of 24 Posts