Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and i have a problem. I have a 2012 commander xt. Last year i went riding over new years. We left in the morning and it was raining by the time we got to our destination it was snowing. we unloaded and started riding made it about 5 miles when I could smell antifreeze. The display was not showing it was hot but it was boiling out of the overflow tank. had to cancel the rest of the trip. Came home still dose the same thing. Bled the system replaced the temp sensor, seems to be circulating the water through the system. thermostat seems to be working fine. Also sometimes it will not recognize the key saying it is not the right one. This problem is intermittent some times it will work and other times not. I am lost for ideas I am throwing around the idea the ecm is bad. None of my local dealers have any ideas. Any help would be appreciated

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
Thanx for the great description of the problem and attempts to fix...there are many things that can lead to your problem, and you mentioned a few, but do make sure of things that you have checked are indeed OK and you can rule them COMPLETELY out...for instance, a thermostat that seems fine is a vague diagnosis in my world, so if you DEFINITELY want to check it, take it out and test run to compare, but anyway, some things that come to mind that most peeps could miss.....

Follow ALL coolant hoses (especially the lower radiator hose) and make sure none are collapsed, restricting flow of coolant.

Is your coolant fan working?.… you didn't mention that you checked it.

Fins in radiator filled with mud if you had played in the goo.

The bottom radiator hose could be almost completely collapsed internally, but look fine on outside ( I doubt this is it but.....??)

Bleed both head coolant bleed screws to eliminate steam pockets high in the head.

Compression building into the cooling system (thinking like a blown head gasket on an automobile)
Bottomline, all of your troubleshooting ideas kind of cross-blocked most cures that are basic, unless you missed something....thus why my ideas are outside the box thinking.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started the machine cold, kept feeling around the thermostat seems like every time it opened at the correct time. I have fallowed all of the lines everything seems to be ok. Yes the fan is working when it recognizes that it is hot i had it plugged into the service computer at the dealership and everything worked fine. The radiator is very clean even took the time to bend all of the fins back. I have also bled the screws on the head multiple times also raised the machines front end and bled it that way also. As for building pressure it dose not seem to be but i have not run a compression check. It just seems odd that all of a sudden that it will just jump to overheating, or do nothing at all and blow antifreeze. One last thing when the fan dose kick on it seems like it is running slow. I have talked to multiple dealerships and no one has nay idea i just wanted some opinions before i bought and ecm. thanks again

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
The fan makes quite the noise when its on and moves huge amounts of air as it spins very fast, so maybe it is dragging badly. Pull your hood and engine cover off. Look for the temperature sending unit...should be on driver side, top of #2 head very close to the injector (unless it was relocated for your year)....unplug it. Now turn key on but don't start the engine. Your fan should be running full bore (ignore any limp home mode or engine light flashing)....it should be really drawning air and you can check thru the front hood you removed....hope this is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.