Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how many people here have had issues with the rear diff mine has started howling. Wondering how many got it replaced by Brp after the warranty was over. Also just for the info my diff#411.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Alot of these rear-ends whine as you are prolly familiar with all the stories ....and sound like quit a few are getting their dealers to stand-up for them after warranty is over

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my dealer is acting like he has never heard of it before. I have just over 400 miles on it and all u can hear at anything over 15 mph. The only time I can hear my two brothers pipe is when I go WFO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is sad I thought my dads ranger had a clunky noisy driveline till I bought this thing a year and a half ago. This is the first can am I have had always run Yamahas before.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
It is really hard to say how many rear diffs have issues. I suspect there are a lot more Commanders sold than there are members of Forums. Also very few people without the issues will say they do not have them. My dealer replaced mine however it was not until they practically rebuilt it and it still had issues. It was however covered under warranty.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was just wanting a rough idea preparing to argue with dealer and brp just in case!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mostly sounds like the 2011 models had most of the troubles with Whiny rear ends and some relate it to the gear box, I have the 2012 and my gear box is loud !!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to dealer today said brp will help me out with this prob they just need to verify the complaint and let brp know the specifics taking the machine in later this week hopefully brp takes care off all expenses.

·
Registered
149 Posts
BRP replaced my rear diff a couple of weeks ago, well I mean they gave me the diff & I had to install it. But I'm fine with that. I've had my X since Oct 2010 and warranty ran out Oct 2011. I think it's mostly how good your dealer is as well, I talked to my dealer a couple of times in the past about how loud it was at fast speeds but they thought it was normal since basically they all are like that. Anyways, brp gave me a #506 this time instead of the #411 - Just cruising through the neighborhood it still sounds loud but don't know for sure until I get it out in a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
This is definitely the thorn in BRPs back with the Commander ...next is the ITC....it'll get sorted out shortly, hopefully on BRPs dime ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have any of you takled to brp about the cab heat problem? I have tried and all I get is the run a round from them and the dealer were I bought it. I was told to get a hold of the area sales rep and talk to him. Does any body have any answers for the cab heat proble? It makes me mad that can am cant seem to take care of there customers when they have a problem. I have had my cammander for about 9 mounths now and cant get a answer from them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think most people are insulating the panels surrounding the engine and or wrapping the exhaust. Oh and a few have made vents to let some engine heat out and double as a heater in the winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BRP replaced my rear diff a couple of weeks ago, well I mean they gave me the diff & I had to install it. But I'm fine with that. I've had my X since Oct 2010 and warranty ran out Oct 2011. I think it's mostly how good your dealer is as well, I talked to my dealer a couple of times in the past about how loud it was at fast speeds but they thought it was normal since basically they all are like that. Anyways, brp gave me a #506 this time instead of the #411 - Just cruising through the neighborhood it still sounds loud but don't know for sure until I get it out in a couple of weeks.
I was told that it is comon for the can am rear end to wine .When I had my can am atv's my wifes had a lot of noise were my atv that was the same size ,year and everything didnt have the noise. Mine also seemed to be faster and loser like in a higher gear or something.It wasnt were eather one of them went because where her machine was rode mine went rode also. now with the camander it has the noise also I hoped it would have been like my atv but its not. The dealer here says it is the belt and thats how it is. nice hu?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Commander is going to have some rear end noise due to it using straight cut gears in the rear diff instead of your typical automotive type ring and pinion that is like a heli-cut gear with a power & coast side. I was just hoping it to be quiter. I'm not 100% sure if it's the diff or the belt or both that make all the noise - This is my first SXS and it didn't seem normal compared to other brands I have rented or riden in. The heat issue so far hasn't really bothered me but we are usually going fast across the dunes and probably doesn't get a chance to build up the heat. I have heard that alot of people are insulating their panels on their commanders to keep the cab cooler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have built differentials for over 15yrs the noise I have is excessive just want can am to own up to there problem if not I will fix the prob myself and send the pile down the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to update Brp is giving me a complete new rear diff I am doing the work myself and that is perfectly ok with me just happy to get a new diff. Can't thank my dealer enough went well out his way to help me with this especially considering I didn't buy my machine from him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to update post. I got the new diff installes yesterday an went for a quick drive 100% improvement much quieter now. I am very impressed with brp for taking care of this problem without any drama.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Just wanted to update post. I got the new diff installes yesterday an went for a quick drive 100% improvement much quieter now. I am very impressed with brp for taking care of this problem without any drama.
Glad to hear the new diff is quieter .....is it a 411 or 506?...hope it continues to be in hush mode for everyone that gets a replacement ...so as the hundreds of miles gets put on yours, try to notice a difference in the howling of it and keep us posted please

1 - 20 of 66 Posts