Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This came up so thought I would pass it on.

The Rear End Differential Assembly S/N for the old one that has come apart on a lot of us and the new S/N

Old Rear Diff Assy S/N 705501391

New Rear Diff Assy S/N 705501411

The problem with the Old Rear End is the case comes apart and things inside just come apart, gears and all. You will not be able to do much once is breaks and you will most likely have gear oil leaking at a slow rate for a day or two. However I was able to drive a very short distance in four wheel drive (front wheels will still pull) but the rear end made a lot of noise of gears grinding in the 100 feet or so I drove after mine went out so no idea how far you could drive if necessary.

You can check by just lifting the bed and you can see the sticker on the right side of the differential.

Here is a picture of mine with the new version installed after blowing out the old one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have over 1000 miles on mine and no problems so far. The serial # on mine is 705501440, not sure what that tells me, since it is a higher # does that mean it was made at a later date? Was there A P/N change or redesign your new one?

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have over 1000 miles on mine and no problems so far. The serial # on mine is 705501440, not sure what that tells me, since it is a higher # does that mean it was made at a later date? Was there A P/N change or redesign your new one?
That is your Commander serial number correct? ...look at the Rearend tag if it is still on ...last three numbers are 411?....

Some owners with X's in the 300s have that 411 Rearend number .....we're wondering if the bulk of 391 rearends were in the first release XTs.....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be OK, the dealer told me they change the number with each change so that may have fixed the big problem. It would be nice to see all the numbers of every bad rear diff. So if anyone else out there that had a bad rear diff and knows the number please post it

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
That would make sense, and also make one wonder how many different SN these rearends actually there are ...so 391, 411, 440 and counting .....Lance

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are on to something Lance. And the warranty rear diff's like mine may not come from the latest batch. But I would guess the 391 was the real problem and everything after that is much better.
It does make you think, if the updated rear diff's can handle more HP if we ever get our boxes or if you put in turbo.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
I think you are on to something Lance. And the warranty rear diff's like mine may not come from the latest batch. But I would guess the 391 was the real problem and everything after that is much better.
It does make you think, if the updated rear diff's can handle more HP if we ever get our boxes or if you put in turbo.
Right there ....may be some time before it all gets answered ....thanx for all your info FB! .....Lance

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong but each unit would have a different S/N would it not? I was unable to locate a P/N which would be the same on a number of units until a change was made????????

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please correct me if I am wrong but each unit would have a different S/N would it not? I was unable to locate a P/N which would be the same on a number of units until a change was made????????
You are right a S/N would not change in most cases, but BRP calls the part number S/N just to throw us off, and the dealer told me they change them all the time.

Here is a link to the S/N or Part number and you can see it is still the original number, then the dealer has to cross check for the updated number.

By the way this is where I buy all my parts online. It is a dealer
http://parts.can-am.brp.com/Index.a...obnco7c30&catalog_id=0&language_id=1&siteid=1

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked at two different sxs's from different dealer's, both 800XT's and both S/N began with a 3, which means they were built in Mexico(if it begins with a 2 it comes from Canada) and both had the 411 rear end. Both have just come in, one last week one this week. So I would imagine that is the latest update they have. Now I just have to go pick one up.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well that sucks mine does not have the sticker. Must have washed it off with the pressure washer. It does have BRP Made in U.S.A stamped in it. Also a 4 digit number that I can no read well. The diff does whine pretty good. I have 450 miles on it so far.
I hope it hangs in there, but if it goes after the warranty the cost is $700 and that is better than something like $1500 or more. You might even tell the dealer the the rearend is whining and maybe they will go ahead and replace it for you.

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Yeah, at least call your dealer to get it documented that you feel there is an issue with it ....for any future troubles after warranty is up, there will be a record of it....Lance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe I misread the post; there are now 3 rear ends (the 440 being the newest to solve the problematic rear end)?

·
Administrator
2,339 Posts
Maybe I misread the post; there are now 3 rear ends (the 440 being the newest to solve the problematic rear end)?
Yes, three numbers have been verified .....the story made sense with two, but this third one snuck in .....??????.....we'll find out one day why ...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts