Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going on my third thermostat!!!! If i decide to install it.there is a plastic t fitting in its place.does any one know if this is ok to do?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Im going on my third thermostat!!!! If i decide to install it.there is a plastic t fitting in its place.does any one know if this is ok to do?
Not really sure I understand what your wanting to do bjantz...do you want to install the thermostat and remove a tee fitting?

For my own curiosity, what is happening to the previous thermostats? Are they going wide open and not closing when cool or seizing shut and not opening when they should?

I've had great luck with my Rotax 800 Outlander engine by completely removing the thermostat and replacing it with a like washer used on the other head.

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thermostas had stuck closed leaving me stranded. I dont want to deal w/that any more so I put a t fitting in its place. This way coolant is constantly moving through the bikes motor and radiator. I also installed a flex a light thermal fan switch. I dont know if will hurt the bike w/no thermostat.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I never did have one stick shut but went ahead and replaced it with the factory restrictor washer.... slows the coolant speed down like the thermostat does but will never stick shut...lol

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
How ir can I get that washer.I take free flowing is bbad
Have to look at the parts manual but I would assume even the Cowmander has a restrictor washer on the other head...buy one and put in place of thermostat

Go to cheapcycleparts.com and look at the parts listing....gives the part number pictures and pricings

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Does that reducing washer go on the bottom side of thermal stat
No....you take the thermostat out and throw it away, then replace it with the washer...it slows down the coolant flow like the thermostat does so coolant doesn't flow too fast thru your radiator...the ONLY negative attribute encountered is slower coolant warmup in the wintertime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size hole, couldn't find that part for the commander from that website . Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
What size hole, couldn't find that part for the commander from that website . Thanks for the help
If ya got a computer, its the way to shop that microfiche....I won't try from my phone....... look for cooling or front/rear cylinder section...one cylinder should show a thermostat, the other should have a washer.... that's the washer I'm referencing.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Well bjantz, I checked that website out and learned something along the way.....my referencing was of the Rotax 800 engine family for the thermostat removal / washer installation that I mentioned....it seems that is still the normal thermostat location for the Commander 800 also to date. What I didn't know is that the Commander 1000 has a remote thermostat housing tee'd into the radiator hoses instead of in the head like the 800 is. I never have looked on BLR's 1000 for it and was totally unaware of that remote housing. So if you have an 800, my thermostat removal / washer install will work....if it's a 1000, I have no idea until I open ours up to check it out.....sorry for leading everyone astray that reads this with the 1000 engine!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem, I think I have fixed it. Used 5/8 nylon t fitting w/a brass thread reducerto take it down to 3/8 comming from bottom of radiator. This restricts it enough to let the radiator do its job. Took it out on a short ride seem to work.(its about 113° out).

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Nice.....and I don't wish 113° onto anyone.... we had 70° here today.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Has any one attempted to install temp gauge, if so were did you I stall thermostate?
A common method is to cut a coolant hose to install an adapter that the sensor screws into. Not sure what you mean by were to install thermostat.

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Here is mine on my Rhintax. The closer to the outlet on the head , the hotter it will read of course, but does give the best idea of what your actual engine coolant temperature is.

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts