Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From looking at the machine, I know I will be removing the flares in the woods (not on purpose) unless I get some side protection. What are the currently available options for side protection and which ones actually work?

Thank you in advance for the info.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Yea when I added the fender flares and wheel spacers thewre was a definate need to extend the tree bars out to compensate.

If you have the XT or standard model I would either make them or have them made. The tubing that Can Am used is on the thin side. I would opt for
1 1/2" .095 wall DOM. When mine are damaged to badly (and they will be eventually) that is my plan. Tese are disposable offroad Items that are meant to protect the vehicle's frame by giving up their life!:timebomb:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea when I added the fender flares and wheel spacers thewre was a definate need to extend the tree bars out to compensate.

If you have the XT or standard model I would either make them or have them made. The tubing that Can Am used is on the thin side. I would opt for
1 1/2" .095 wall DOM. When mine are damaged to badly (and they will be eventually) that is my plan. Tese are disposable offroad Items that are meant to protect the vehicle's frame by giving up their life!:timebomb:
Very interesting thank you for the information. I definitely cannot make a set but I would love to find someone who makes a more HD set. I don't want to damage the machine and I am on rocks with the sliders on my Teryx often.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
The only aftermarket sliders currently avalable (I use that term loosely) are no more than a piece of Aluminum or Plastic that is right up against the rocker panel. This approch offers very little protection for the Frame and none for the Wheels. Tree bars are there to push the rear wheels away from trees and rocks. They do need to extend past the rear wheels to be effective . I have a 2500# full sized Turbo Woods buggy that I actually use the tree bars to aid in steering around trees in tight woods.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only aftermarket sliders currently avalable (I use that term loosely) are no more than a piece of Aluminum or Plastic that is right up against the rocker panel. This approch offers very little protection for the Frame and none for the Wheels. Tree bars are there to push the rear wheels away from trees and rocks. They do need to extend past the rear wheels to be effective . I have a 2500# full sized Turbo Woods buggy that I actually use the tree bars to aid in steering around trees in tight woods.

I know what you mean. Here in NC/TN/KY/SC we are in the woods. I have my sliders on the Teryx on trees, rocks and all kinds of stuff all the time. I have to and as you are saying, sometimes have to hug a rock or a tree or whatever you have to hug to snake through the woods. 50" ATV width is the norm on a lot of trails and the SxS guys have to beat a path in a lot of places we ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the XT or standard model I would either make them or have them made. The tubing that Can Am used is on the thin side. I would opt for 1 1/2" .095 wall DOM. When mine are damaged to badly (and they will be eventually) that is my plan. Tese are disposable offroad Items that are meant to protect the vehicle's frame by giving up their life!:timebomb:
Great job on the bar extensions. You correctly stated that these bars are sacrificial. Keeping that in mind, I would not build a set too tuff, cuz then the energy would be transferred to the main frame, thus damaging it. I saw a set of Can Am bars on Ebay yesterday.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Great job on the bar extensions. You correctly stated that these bars are sacrificial. Keeping that in mind, I would not build a set too tuff, cuz then the energy would be transferred to the main frame, thus damaging it. I saw a set of Can Am bars on Ebay yesterday.
I agree, you do not want them to strong. 1 1/2" .095 would be the max I would go with a 1300# Machine. I went to .120 wall on my Woodsbuggy because it weighs in at 2500#s and the .095 bends and crushs too easy.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I don't really need them out here, but what about a complete rectangle under the Commander that could be heavy duty. That way like you said Ody, you could use them to steer with, and if it went all the way across it would have little chance of bending the frame.

Maybe making a complete skid plate/tree bars bolt on that might not sacrifice ground clearance. I could even see making a second bar about at the top of the wheels to have something to push away the branches maybe 6" out from the side.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been pulling the wheels and tires off of my XT and have been thinking about running tubing through that box tube on the lower frame rail in the rear so I have a full connection from side-to-side, but I can't seem to find a "good" location for the front unless I run it all the way up to the front in some way shape or form ... does anyone have ideas? I need to get cracking so I can get all this stuff done prior to race season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts