Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the new Commander a few weeks ago... get one ride in and then it is sitting in my buddies garage along with one of my snowmobile trailers and some other stuff while I move.

One of the guys who works for him goes out for a ride in my Commander and rolls it... full barrel role with a twist to finish up on it side again. He is OK, and that is the most important thing, and I am sure the blood all over the Commander will eventually come out.

Now I know the roof is done as well as the body panel where the fuel door is and the fender flare.

My question is what else should I be looking over for signs of damage? Show me a BRP snowmobile and I could tell you what is wrong or could be wrong... but this Commander is ALL NEW to me.

Any weak links in the frame, roll bar I should look at? Other than the obvious anything in the front end that is easy to twist as he was turning when it rolled? For the alignment do I just go with the straight edge on the floor and tape measure it out to see if it is out?

I just want to make sure I get it all covered now so I don't find anything down the road that could be damamged.

Any of you who have crashed/rolled let me know what you found and what was easlily damaged.

Thanks,

Ryan

View attachment 742

· Registered
9 Posts
1st off, I would go punch that guy right in the mouth! Make sure he coughs up and money you will need for damages! But thats just me. I would never drive someone elses toys because they are way to expensive to repair if I did wreck something. But sorry I am no help with what to look for as far as damage. I dont have a commander yet. Hopin oneday I will. So until then I will keep my prowler. Good luck with the outcome.

· Registered
28 Posts
I would suggest he buy that problem from you, then no worries for the unknown in the future, if your going to be that eresponsible you pay the consequences ,it will never be the same as a new one that you stored there.:furious:

· Registered
188 Posts
If you search this site you can find a link for the service manual. I looked over the service manual before and there are some things that BRP tells their dealers to look for related to the major components of your machine. Personally, I think you should take it to the dealer and have them go through it. I understand the guy did not mean to damage your machine, but the fact is he did. Being that your machine was new and under warranty what you do or do not do at this point to repair the damage may void your warranty. This is not like someone borrowing your chain saw and dropping of the back of the truck as he is driving down the road, your Commander is a major investment to you. Look at the service manual first so you know that there are other things to look at after a roll over that are not obvious or at least were not obvious to me before reading them. Good Luck on getting it back together. I paid cash for mine and I have added a bunch of goodies I could not afford to replace it. In fact I think I will go look for insurance today.

G

·
I would suggest he buy that problem from you, then no worries for the unknown in the future, if your going to be that eresponsible you pay the consequences ,it will never be the same as a new one that you stored there.:furious:
Hi H20man,

I think that I'm with murray5p on this one. You can have your insurance take care of your machine, but I wonder if it would ever be the same again. It sounds the driver involved didn't have your permission to take your machine. Bummer for everybody. I would hope that the driver would do the right thing and buy that machine from you. I hope this works out for you!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses folks... gonna search for the service manual on here to see if I can find it. The guy who rolled it is going to do what it takes to make it right with no issues... so I am not concerned about that. Time to get it over to my new shop Friday after the moving is done, get a good look at it, and most likely haul it off to the dealer for a parts list and investigation.

· Premium Member
683 Posts
I would reserve claiming on Insurance only for a complete total. As I understand it, if claimed it's considered an accident on your Insurance. Not sure if it's then listed with the DMV.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would reserve claiming on Insurance only for a complete total. As I understand it, if claimed it's considered an accident on your Insurance. Not sure if it's then listed with the DMV.
Yeah I would not do any insurance claim on it as it would possibly cause my rates to rise. I spoke to the guy again this morning... he says do what you need to do to make it right and he is good to settle up for the damages.

· Registered
149 Posts
I think I would take it to the dealer as well and have it checked out, have them put all the found damage in writing. That way if there are any legal issues down the road, you have everything in writing & performed by a professional shop that works on these machines everyday. You may even be able to do a better inspection job yourself but trust me get it all in writing by a shop as well.
I was down at my dealer the other day & they had a rolled Commander. The cage was bent & a few other things - didn't look too bad just mainly the cage needed replaced & some plastic. I guess the frame was tweaked as well & more unseen damaged - anyways the insurance totaled it & supposedly it only rolled once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.