Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best deal on sand tires for the commander XT? 14" wheels. Also Would it make a difference if we went with 12" like the X or is the XT different for a reason. I have found some 12s on CL for less than half the price I got on new. New 9 paddles were 189 each. Is that good or am I just trying to be a cheapskate? Any recommendations would be great. Including what type, like should we have haulers on the front? Or Mohawks or stock tires? We will be at Dunefest this year, anyone think there may be some good deals from vendors?

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
Dunefest will be a great time to check out tires/wheels....Sand Tires Unlimited is a mainstay dune tire and Fullerton is a great rep for STU tires. Dave from Fullerton is scheduled to be in one of our Discovery Point sites (he's in #29 and we're in #30) and I believe he is coming in Monday or Tuesday. We'll hook you up.

On a side note, BLR has her brand new Mohawks for sale she bought last year at DF from Dave. She doesn't like them. They have 25 sand miles on them and I believe they are 26x9x12 sized plus being buffed. We'll have them there with us. She is also going to have a complete set of 12" rims FS as soon as we get a factory pair of beadlocks for her paddles....we'll bring them for ya to look at should you want to go with the 12" rather than 14". The 12" will give you more sidewall flex when aired way down for duning than 14" because, well, there is more sidewall...lol....helps more for floatation on the sand.

· Registered
149 Posts
Curious why you don't like the Mohawks, I would think they would help turn better on all the trails up there rather than smooth buffed tires. I have been thinking about getting mohawks so I like your input before I make a purchase.

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
We do a lot of off-camber trails and dunes....the Mohawks want to slip sideways / downwards while driving these soft sand off-camber areas.....much more that the factory X Bighorns as they have more traction sidehilling....and your right on the buffs, they are even worse for our style of duneing.

· Registered
149 Posts
Good to know, thanks. We just run the stock bighorns up your way and I think they do great - of coarse not as good as paddles but still good. We mainly ride the bigger open dunes down here & eventually I will get some STU's & probably some Mohawks.

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
For our dunes..I prefer my bighorns..I do alot of 2wheel drive on our seawall and with the Mohawks on the front and STU's on the back the front wants to slide more then I like..
There is no way I would ever do smoothies..we do to many trails and
I'm Not into high speeds
My big horns let down to 4lbs (beadlocks)of air does everything that my STU's do with 6 lbs..
wanting another set of rear beadlocks so I put my paddles on them
This is my preferences only so it may not be for everybody
Selling my Mohawks..approx. 25 sand miles
For $185 each..buffed
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may have talked me into staying with the stock fronts. So more than likely I will have to go with 14s on stock rims so they all match. I will be talking with FSS tomorrow. Maybe he can bring me something. Hoping I can get something while Im there. I also would like some 2" spacers.....See you all Sunday!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.