Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Is it common to hear such a noise at low rpm 3k?
The CVT area does make some very unnerving sounds and none of them sound good...lol....so it could be nothing to worry about.

Is this when you take off and does it once? Continuously when moving? When revved in neutral only? Would help tremendously if you could post an audio clip so we can hear it.

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you recently change your belt? Mines been doin the same thing since I swapped belts. Does it right around three grand while cruising. Pulled the belt polished primary and secondary and sanded edge of the belt. Still screams at me. also lost shift out rpms. Down to sixty two hundred and top speed is sixty three. Takin it apart tomorrow night putting in a qsc primary and the old but still good belt. Ill let you know what I find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced my primary clutch yesterday and all I can tell you is that the noise is completely gone. after test riding it seeing the noise was gone I went back and looked at the stock primary and all I can find is that the one way bearing had a lot of belt dust in it. Id try cleaning that and see what it does for you. And just to let you know, the QSC primary is awesome. Pulls the wheels off the ground in low on asphault.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, thanks. Yes cruising at slow speed around 3k rpm. I only have about 40 hours on it so what ever the issue is, should be covered under warranty. Right? I am NOT in any way a mechanic. I know enough to be dangerous. You know the guy that has parts left over when he fixes something? Thats me. So I plan on taking it in. A real pain in the rear! But, better safe than sorry for me. I will post the results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the dealer, He heard it checked it out, said it all looks fine. Called it harmonic, and will probably change or go away. But He did document it with Can Am so if something happens it will be covered. ( he says). I cant ask for more than that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh man - I've not only got screechy and whiney, but clunky and jerky to boot. This thing has more drive train noise than a rig of this caliber/cost should ever have. I am really surprised - if this is normal. Also, previous posts referred to cruising at 3K RPM or so. When I am going down a level, smooth, straight piece of road at 35 MPH in high range I am revving 5K constant - and so noisy (not exhaust, all stock) I need earplugs inside my helmet. Do the RPM's seem high to anyone or is it just me? -and the noise? Is that just me also? Thanks in advance for any input.

2012 Commander 1000XT 45 total miles

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar experience. For me clunky jerky sound was when I went from stopped to moving. It seems to have gotten less harsh? Also its like getting anything new, once you get used to how how it likes to work you learn what makes it do things. (i dont know if that makes sense) I drive lots of different machines here farming and ranching, each one likes to be driven differently. Including the 100K tractor. LOL. One thing is for sure, the Can AM sounds different than all other SxSs. For me, the best way to find things out, is on this forum. I had the same thought at first about the rpms for sure. But again its a different motor. I will check that today at 30 35 40 45 on a semi level paved surface and post it this afternoon for you. As for the noise level, do you have a top, window, or any enclosure? We put a top, full window and sides on our gator. Now you have to practically yell to communicate if you going over 5mph. I now have about 500 miles on my 2012 1000 XT. Every time I drive it I like it more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks JBonds for the reply. I will be anxiously awaiting your RPM research. :) Oh - no top or doors or windows. By the way, I would love to find out that all my concerns are 'just me'. I've driven a lot of different rigs in my life - both on-road and off, and hopefully these things are nothing to be worried about.
Thanks again. :)

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
That 5K rpm is probably OK....have a passenger go with you armed with pen and paper....start out and call to them your RPM at 5, 10, 15, 20...and up miles per hour.....you will be surprised how the RPM gets high as your speeding up, but stays real close as you speed up at speed....it's how the belt and 2 sheaves work together that will get the engine flairing high quickly, but then stays at close to same rpm as ground speed gets faster and faster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We tested the speed and rpm down and up the driveway. 20=3850/4100 25=4300/4500 30=4600/4750 35=4850/5150 40=5200/5550 45=5450/5800
Hope that helps. Like I said this is the best site to get info from people that actually have a commander.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
We tested the speed and rpm down and up the driveway. 20=3850/4100 25=4300/4500 30=4600/4750 35=4850/5150 40=5200/5550 45=5450/5800
Hope that helps. Like I said this is the best site to get info from people that actually have a commander.
There's the proof...thanx JBonds!....35MPH @ 5K RPM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good Morning! Thanks everybody for your input - I really appreciate it! Have a great weekend! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Something else that makes a chatter almost screeching sound is a bracket under the cvt at the rear hits and will chaff through the housing. It may not be your problem but I think you may need to take a look to fix it before you have problems.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Something else that makes a chatter almost screeching sound is a bracket under the cvt at the rear hits and will chaff through the housing. It may not be your problem but I think you may need to take a look to fix it before you have problems.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx
So that bracket that is busting up the inner cover on so many Cowmanders actually makes noise then?.... thanx, that's great to know!

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Capt.D for the heads up - I'll check that out for sure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts