Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, a friend of mine has a 11 commander , he messed it up pretty good due to a faulty torque wrench, then later added to it.

i dont have any clue what to tell him to do but said i would post here and ask,
u know where the engine oil filter cover plate goes on the engine with those 3 bolts. well he stripped them and broke em off, torque wrench iswas way off.

then he driled them out and got new bolts to work, however doing it in the dim light and at a angle he actually drilled through the side lip and even marred or pitted the are beside teh top bolt. this is teh area where the rubber seal will seal the outer cap,filter to the engine base. he tried to run it but its leaking. so where or what does he do now, is there an alunimum filler that stands oil, high temps and will never fall out or loose strnghth? im thinking due to that chip from teh drill bit that marred teh flat surface where the filter would normally seal it by ay of the rubber seal is the issue. so do they make something to fill it and will a fill hold in a little pitted area, a small tiny one??? thanks

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
belzona will seal the leak with no other repair needed. the one I post is the easiest repair, not the correct repair. I would buy a belzona metal replacement, to fill the spot, then use a new hone stone to get a smoth surface. Then mearly replace the oring and you would be good to go. The metal repair stuff can be put on and has a cohesion that will withstand machining to the surface. If you have any more questions please feel free to air them ou on here.
http://www.belzona.com/product_information/pfs/US/2100.pdf

This stuff will simply seal the leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Belzona approach seems the easiest if it will withstand the pressure. It all depends on the amount of damage. Another option might be a product like Dura Fix which is like aluminum brazing. The drawback with DuraFix is that you need to use a propane torch and get the repair site up to 700 deg. This may not be workable depending upon what is nearby. With any of these "easy" fixes, your friend needs to look long term and what is he going to do next time he changes the oil. I would suggest that he considers one of these oil adapter kits used to relocate the oil filter or to convert the engine to a spin on oil filter. Once he gets this repair done and sealing correctly, he probably should not ever screw with that interface again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts