Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend my speedometer stopped working on my 1000 and the CHECK ENGINE message displayed. I stopped and killed the engine immediately and checked the oil, which was fine... right at the max fill line on the stick. I started it back up and rode the 1/4 mile back home. The CHECK ENGINE message and light came on and went back off about 3 or 4 times and the speedo always says "0 mph". Has anyone had this or something similar happen? Any suggestions on a quick fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1

I currently have the exact same issue. Identical. It started happening today at 18 hours on the engine. Last night I changed the oil for the first time. I can only assume that the synthetic oil I used is to "thin" *shrug* Everything was fine for an hour up to the issue, with moderate to hard use. The oil should have already been at temperature before then.
Tomorrow I'm going to swap the oil out with something else. Anyone have a manual handy and can look up the part where it says you can use some conventional oil like 15/30 in the fancy stuff isn't' available? I don't have my book.
Thanks!

Xaidin

·
Registered
74 Posts
I currently have the exact same issue. Identical. It started happening today at 18 hours on the engine. Last night I changed the oil for the first time. I can only assume that the synthetic oil I used is to "thin" *shrug* Everything was fine for an hour up to the issue, with moderate to hard use. The oil should have already been at temperature before then.
Tomorrow I'm going to swap the oil out with something else. Anyone have a manual handy and can look up the part where it says you can use some conventional oil like 15/30 in the fancy stuff isn't' available? I don't have my book.
Thanks!

Xaidin
The book says: "If XPS engine oil is not available, us a 4-stroke SAE 5W 40 engine oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SM, SL or SJ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having the same problems as you have mentioned, but mine is also throwing a transmission code. It is running fine but its saying E instead of L or H. Can you give me any advice on how to fix this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also having the same problems as you have mentioned, but mine is also throwing a transmission code. It is running fine but its saying E instead of L or H. Can you give me any advice on how to fix this?
Turns out this is a fairly common issue during/after break in period. I took mine to the dealer. They replaced the speedometer sensor. I did my own service but failed to remove and clean the sensor. Apparently it's magnetic and it picked up a bunch of break in crud (shavings and such). I'm only assuming they replaced it because the warranty paperwork said so. It could have very well been just cleaned up and put back in. The codes will need to be cleared though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the service manual, page 176. Private message me your email and I'll email you the page. I will say it's REALLY REALLY hard to get to. I tried, and gave up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts