Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Nice job with the link ...worked perfect ....that bowl must really be steep up at the top!

Sent from my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
149 Posts
Man I sure miss St. A's. It's my favorite open dune area but it sucks it's so far away. 14.5hrs driving straight through. Maybe next Summer we'll get up there.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Man I sure miss St. A's. It's my favorite open dune area but it sucks it's so far away. 14.5hrs driving straight through. Maybe next Summer we'll get up there.
We haven't got there yet...think it will be every bit of your 14.5, ...may have to even raise ya a couple extra hours from where we're at

Sent from my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live about 40 miles from the St. Anthony dunes and I like that place. I tried my CanAm 1000 out there but have not spent much time in the sand yet. It seemed to do quite even without paddle tires. Need to try some steep climbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a lot of variation in terrain at St. Anthony. Something for everybody. Just be careful as several people die there every year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a lot of variation in terrain at St. Anthony. Something for everybody. Just be careful as several people die there every year.
That pretty much happens at all riding area's - people exceeding their riding ability & not watching out for the other guy. I can vouch that the Hospital in Rexburg is the nicest I've ever seen - took my daughter there once after she rolled her quad to make sure she was ok. Compared to California hospitals, it was like 5 star hotel. Clean, modern equipment, friendly employees, and we waited maybe 10 min before we were seen. Man we've waited 8hrs here before being seen - crazy.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
That pretty much happens at all riding area's - people exceeding their riding ability & not watching out for the other guy. I can vouch that the Hospital in Rexburg is the nicest I've ever seen - took my daughter there once after she rolled her quad to make sure she was ok. Compared to California hospitals, it was like 5 star hotel. Clean, modern equipment, friendly employees, and we waited maybe 10 min before we were seen. Man we've waited 8hrs here before being seen - crazy.
Hope I NEVER see that hospital in Rexburg!!!....:)....:giggle:....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya, hospital visits always seem to ruin vacations. Going to St. A's is well worth the trip but take at least a week for the distance we have to travel. Maybe head over to Yellowstone for a day or so, it's about 1 1/2hrs away.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, hospital visits always seem to ruin vacations. Going to St. A's is well worth the trip but take at least a week for the distance we have to travel. Maybe head over to Yellowstone for a day or so, it's about 1 1/2hrs away.
That's a fact! 2 years ago I was forcibly ejected from my 700 Raptor on the first day riding. Found out a week later I had 2 broken ribs and a week after that my right lung collapsed and they drained 2 and a half liters of fluid out of the chest cavity. Now we have a full roll cage and 4 point harness and the Raptor is for sale!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a fact! 2 years ago I was forcibly ejected from my 700 Raptor on the first day riding. Found out a week later I had 2 broken ribs and a week after that my right lung collapsed and they drained 2 and a half liters of fluid out of the chest cavity. Now we have a full roll cage and 4 point harness and the Raptor is for sale!
Sorry to hear about your body damage. If you have to have damage it's good to have it be something they can fix. I was there for an hour one Saturday and two people were life-flighted out. There are a couple of sheriff's deputies at the St. A dunes on the weekends now. They are trying to cut down on the boozing among other things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had a great trip last july.....Here are some pics from the trip

Commanders to the rescue, I had an oil line rubbing on the drive shaft and it wore a hole through it about 16 miles out from camp. What a pain in the azz it was getting back to camp. lol

We had lots of good fun rides and everyone always made it back safely

This is looking down from the top of Choke Cherry hill

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Neat pictures and quite a nice sized group there...it's on our bucket list to visit ...

Most pictures never show the real inclination of the dunes and hills, but that one looking down choke cherry really shows the steepness ....or is it even worst than that??!!

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's every bit as steep as it looks, there's a pucker factor on that hill you won't find on any other dune. I wish I had a side hill shot

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
That is one steep mutha .....the only true way to visualize a hillside angle in pictures is a side view of a person standing up straight....you can even measure the angle or grade.....

Let's do that towards the top of Superman at the president weekend ride ...see what it measures out at

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ya, it's pretty steep. It's even a longer pull to the left but you can't get much of a running start. Giff-Turbo, were the Commanders able to make it up that hill or just the turbo RZR's. I haven't had my Commander there yet to find out.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was only able to get maybe a third of the way up. I guess you would say it Choked! LOL Did the best in 4 hi. I'm sure a turbo would do the trick but since we only get down there for a week each year, I can't justify it and we don't need it up here in the woods.

GIFF, are you planning to go again this July? Had a great time with y'all and I hope we can get more Commanders in that string!!

Anyone want to get a group together? We are flexible on time at this point.

Mine is the one with dual flags pictured above. (Thanks GIFF)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts