Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the general consensus that the stock belt is the best way to go? Some say Highlifter but it seems most have said stock I think?

I have been trying to find a replacement belt for the commander and none of the dealers I have been to can get me the exact same P/N that is on my stock belt. Has anyone been able to buy this belt, the dealers have been telling me it is discontinued? 3 Years ago I tried to get the same belt for my outlander and found the same problem. My 2006 Outlander has the same P/N on the original belt as my Commander does. Any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as i know u cant get the exact belt that came with the commander if u go to can am they will give u the belt they use for the outlander and say its for the commander too. i think is very dumb u cant get the exact belt i would think that would be the only one that would hold up to the commanders power.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are rite that is what they give you but its not the same part # and its not strong enough for the commander that is why they are not releasing the other belt

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Everything I've heard has been echoed by most peeps...the Commander has a special belt unlike the quads, but all dealers say it is the same as outtys and rennys. ..and majority say BRP belts are worth the extra dollars opposed to aftermarts ...except Adam @airdam specified an aftermart is great with his testings on his clutch setups .....have you burnt one yet?

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
85 Posts
I still have the original belt but i have had allot of communication with stm and airdam secondary will not accept an after market belt because its 2 mm wider ... Allot of problems are starting to show with adams machines secondary

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@BLR
I have not burnt one yet, just want to get a replacement and have it on hand. I am coming up on 1000 miles and no problems but I will replace it before I head to UT for a week of riding this summer. The only time I have ever smelled the belt burn is when loading in the truck, barley feathering the throttle.

What I find interesting is that my 2006 Outlander came with the exact same belt as the commander. I still have the original and it has the same P/N on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@blr
i have not burnt one yet, just want to get a replacement and have it on hand. I am coming up on 1000 miles and no problems but i will replace it before i head to ut for a week of riding this summer. The only time i have ever smelled the belt burn is when loading in the truck, barley feathering the throttle.

What i find interesting is that my 2006 outlander came with the exact same belt as the commander. I still have the original and it has the same p/n on it.
me also on my renegade 2500 miles i would buy a couple from highlifter

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one from BRP is 178 at my dealer, I found the same one from Parker Yamaha online for 145. I think the highlifter one is about 100. I would buy the high lifter if I knew some were being used and holding up well.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
BLR has slightly burnt hers a few times ...you know, enough to smell it a couple of seconds and maybe squeal some, but nothing bad ......

A good maintenance to do on a belt like that is to take off, use warm water and scuff both sides of the 'V', let dry and run it ....******* refurbishing ...heck ya!!! ....Lance

**EDIT **.....use scotchbright when scuffing the belt....

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
That's where I got my last 3 belts was @ Parker's ....we need a site sponser to give all of us a great deal on belts ..would be SWEET

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I got my commander seal crank was leaking oil in the cluth cover and spiling all over the belt so they change the seal and put a new belt. I still have this belt running strong after 1300 mile. This original VS after sale BRP belt is all BS.

I think some of you are to naive and the mod guy know it!

When I read all forum I see more problem with mod than stock commander if you broke a weak link then it mostly mean you over drive your machine to the limit it have been built. Mod this link more solid and it will broke somewhere else......Commander have there limits

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I got my commander seal crank was leaking oil in the cluth cover and spiling all over the belt so they change the seal and put a new belt. I still have this belt running strong after 1300 mile. This original VS after sale BRP belt is all BS.

I think some of you are to naive and the mod guy know it!

When I read all forum I see more problem with mod than stock commander if you broke a weak link then it mostly mean you over drive your machine to the limit it have been built. Mod this link more solid and it will broke somewhere else......Commander have there limits
i agree its how you drive it but if you are at the dunes having fun and ripping on your machine like we always do the brp replacement belt wont hold up... the type of ridding you do stephane is what the commander was made for but dunning is harder on machines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts