Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed and driven with these tie rods-my concern would be that the threaded portion would still be the same diameter as the stock units and from what I've read,that is where the OE tie rods bend/break.Expecting my X in the next week or 2(not too excited to be reading about all the tie rod problems guys are having)-Had an 85 Honda Oddy and tried making larger diameter tie rods(machined the ends down to use the OE tie rods)still bent and broke-ended up modifing some car tie rods. Alot of the trails up here in Alberta are only Quad wide and a little misjugdement will make for bad day if the OE tie rods are that weak.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone installed and driven with these tie rods-my concern would be that the threaded portion would still be the same diameter as the stock units and from what I've read,that is where the OE tie rods bend/break.Expecting my X in the next week or 2(not too excited to be reading about all the tie rod problems guys are having)-Had an 85 Honda Oddy and tried making larger diameter tie rods(machined the ends down to use the OE tie rods)still bent and broke-ended up modifing some car tie rods. Alot of the trails up here in Alberta are only Quad wide and a little misjugdement will make for bad day if the OE tie rods are that weak.
Welcome Harry K....
I have aboout 500 miles on mine and at least half have been tuft riding...and I have not had a problem...so I don't think it's a hugh problem....Barbara

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
It appears to be for only one. If you enter 2 it goes to 130.00. Good Call. That being the case I would spend the extra 70 bucks and get the 2X Billet units with Hiem joints, high angle spacers and 1" Hex tie rods.
Nice Catch for sure....65/pair did seem a REALLY good buy, didn't it?....Lance

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Yea it did! I'm thinking that having one of these in the Glove compartment is not a bad Ideal for those that plan on keeping the stock setup. I have a race coming up and may just do that. You can not buy an OEM replacement with out buying the whole rack assembly. I am on the fence about replacing the tie rods with something to strong. There has to be a weak link and better the tie rod than the rack.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
There has to be a weak link and better the tie rod than the rack.
Agreed...bend or break sometime expendable is the way to have it......if the ends are too strong, it may be major $$$ if the rack takes the beating.....may not be the best idea to bulletproof the tie rod ends.....time and peeps input later will tell......Lance

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I will look at getting something but for now stock is working. But if it breaks on the first day out that could make for a short weekend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did anyone order these? I think these are the ones I am going to get, I like how they are not "too" strong.

Since I am making mine a 4-seater, I dont want to break a rod and then roll with my kids in the back. My kids do not like to ride slow and Glamis has some huge dunes!! :)

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Ok, I just ordered up a pair so we will see. I have a race coming up in April and I don't want to drive 700 miles one way and be out of the race over a tie rod. I spoke with the Vendor on the phone tpday. These are not as strong as the others being offer however somewhat stronger than OEM. They are made of a better grade of material, however not Chromoly. Considering you can not buy an OEM replacement with out the rack they are a viable and less expensive replacement. IMHO the other offerings are nice and are to strong and i need a weak point and that would be the tie rods and not the rack.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts