Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed and driven with these tie rods-my concern would be that the threaded portion would still be the same diameter as the stock units and from what I've read,that is where the OE tie rods bend/break.Expecting my X in the next week or 2(not too excited to be reading about all the tie rod problems guys are having)-Had an 85 Honda Oddy and tried making larger diameter tie rods(machined the ends down to use the OE tie rods)still bent and broke-ended up modifing some car tie rods. Alot of the trails up here in Alberta are only Quad wide and a little misjugdement will make for bad day if the OE tie rods are that weak.

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone installed and driven with these tie rods-my concern would be that the threaded portion would still be the same diameter as the stock units and from what I've read,that is where the OE tie rods bend/break.Expecting my X in the next week or 2(not too excited to be reading about all the tie rod problems guys are having)-Had an 85 Honda Oddy and tried making larger diameter tie rods(machined the ends down to use the OE tie rods)still bent and broke-ended up modifing some car tie rods. Alot of the trails up here in Alberta are only Quad wide and a little misjugdement will make for bad day if the OE tie rods are that weak.
Welcome Harry K....
I have aboout 500 miles on mine and at least half have been tuft riding...and I have not had a problem...so I don't think it's a hugh problem....Barbara

· Premium Member
683 Posts
It appears to be for only one. If you enter 2 it goes to 130.00. Good Call. That being the case I would spend the extra 70 bucks and get the 2X Billet units with Hiem joints, high angle spacers and 1" Hex tie rods.

· Premium Member
683 Posts
Yea it did! I'm thinking that having one of these in the Glove compartment is not a bad Ideal for those that plan on keeping the stock setup. I have a race coming up and may just do that. You can not buy an OEM replacement with out buying the whole rack assembly. I am on the fence about replacing the tie rods with something to strong. There has to be a weak link and better the tie rod than the rack.

· Administrator
2,363 Posts
There has to be a weak link and better the tie rod than the rack.
Agreed...bend or break sometime expendable is the way to have it......if the ends are too strong, it may be major $$$ if the rack takes the beating.....may not be the best idea to bulletproof the tie rod ends.....time and peeps input later will tell......Lance

· Premium Member
683 Posts
The common problem with the OEM rods is they bend or break at the outer thread. Being the thread on yours uses the OEM tie rod joint and is of the same diameter, is it going to have a similar issue?

· Registered
83 Posts
Did anyone order these? I think these are the ones I am going to get, I like how they are not "too" strong.

Since I am making mine a 4-seater, I dont want to break a rod and then roll with my kids in the back. My kids do not like to ride slow and Glamis has some huge dunes!! :)

· Premium Member
683 Posts
Ok, I just ordered up a pair so we will see. I have a race coming up in April and I don't want to drive 700 miles one way and be out of the race over a tie rod. I spoke with the Vendor on the phone tpday. These are not as strong as the others being offer however somewhat stronger than OEM. They are made of a better grade of material, however not Chromoly. Considering you can not buy an OEM replacement with out the rack they are a viable and less expensive replacement. IMHO the other offerings are nice and are to strong and i need a weak point and that would be the tie rods and not the rack.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.