Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my 2017 Commander XTP 1000 had died (or at least I thought it had). I bought and installed a new battery. After several weeks, the Commander wouldn't start again after sitting in my garage for a week. I though maybe the wiring for the Bazooka ATV tube had a short and was drawing power off the battery. I removed the battery and trickle charged it back to full power (12 v). I reinstalled the battery and the Commander sat in my garage for several days. I then check to see if it would start, and without hesitation, it started right up. I pulled the Commanded out of the garage to do some yard work. When I attempted to restart it... click, click, click... dead battery (or I thought). I put a meter to it and had 12v... WTH?? I grabbed my marine battery (12 v) and jumped the Commander. Again, it started right up. I checked the battery while it was running and had 14.4 v (so it should be charging). So if my Commander battery has 12 v registering on the meter but won't start but will start if I jump it with another battery what can this issue be?
Any asistance will be greatly appreciated for I have a big ride this weekend.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Check both ends of all positive and negative main battery cables. They are known to loosen up. Check the main cable at your starter for tightness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LBR,
Thanks for the reply. Not to sound completely ignorant (but I will)... Since I always take the Commander in for servicing, where is the starter located?
Just being lazy and don't want to remove unnecessary plastic.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I could describe it, but videos are worth their weight in gold....go to YouTube and search out "CanAm starter" vids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts