Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys heard some clanking over the weekend but couldnt figure out where the noise was coming from, after washing the machine today noticed two broken bolts broke off flush on the rear sway bar.Just something to keep an eye out on the dealer says the bolts were over torqued at factory.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanx ...your the first I've heard with any bolts snapping off from over tightening ...more times than less, they always loosen up and need retightened ....

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bolts

Checked my rear sway bar bolts and I only had one broke and in the process of taking them off they were all loose at least 1 half turn so I suspect they were never tightened from the get go.They all had yellow locktite on them so if they were torqued correctly they should have still been tight.I think they should move there assembly plant or maybe have a better quality controll system.I put in 10.9 x 10mmx 1.5 with blue loctite so I should be set.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Something else to watch for.....been lots of under-tightened bolts on these machines from the factory, hasn't there?.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
bolts

I was just looking in my pocket reference book and I see that an 8.8 x 10mmx1.5 has a 120,000 psi strength and the 10.9 I installed has 151,000 psi and the torque spec. goes from 50 to 62 dry.Should not break I wouldn't think that the first one should have broke unless it was loose.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I was just looking in my pocket reference book and I see that an 8.8 x 10mmx1.5 has a 120,000 psi strength and the 10.9 I installed has 151,000 psi and the torque spec. goes from 50 to 62 dry.Should not break I wouldn't think that the first one should have broke unless it was loose.
You might be dead on with that theory ....most people don't understand how nuts, bolts and washers hold everything in our universe together except me and my ex.....it's bolt stretch that does 90% of the holding power ...etc...not the lockwashers nor locktites

sent by my possessed Droid I

1 - 9 of 9 Posts