Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their rear sway-bar?? It was strongly suggested to me to remove my rear sway-bar with the new Magnum Shock set-up. In their testing, the handling performance improved a significant amount without it.
Im wondering what kind of job it will turn out to be. Is it just the four bolts on each side? Do I have to remove one or both of the rear trailing arms?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
You can remove it by simply removing the four bolts on each side. Im going to try my car out with the rear sway bar off with the new LT kit this weekend.

Just jack up the car to remove any load on the bar first!

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Has anyone removed their rear sway-bar?? It was strongly suggested to me to remove my rear sway-bar with the new Magnum Shock set-up. In their testing, the handling performance improved a significant amount without it.
Im wondering what kind of job it will turn out to be. Is it just the four bolts on each side? Do I have to remove one or both of the rear trailing arms?
Xelvic removed his with the STOCK shocks and it was not a good outcome and I believe he put it back on...he would be a good one to ask what it entails

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tim and Barb. I guess ill remove it before the trip and take it with me.
Tim, Im going to Ocotillo 29th thru the 3rd. Kinda wish it was Glamis. Oh well, I know you will have some company out there this time around. If you can, get some comparison between your Clutched and someones stocker.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
8 bolts and your free! Removal is easier if the car is off the ground. Our shocks are calibrated to compensate for the removal of the bar. I would leave it on with the stock shocks.

The test set I told you about should be to you on Tuesday. Tried to ship earlier but the lines were NUTS!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Good News Daniel. Im gonna run Friday then change out Friday nite and do Sat with the new ones. If I feel the need, will do any change up on Sunday....I hope my GF likes wrenches lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took the front and rear sway bars off my X. Two words...NOT GOOD. I knew it was going to be bad when I sat in it and it squatted about 4 inches on the drivers side. I took it out for a short ride and felt it was seriously unsafe. When I turned to the left I was fine, but turning to the right I felt like I was going to tip over. This was at slow speeds too. The stock X shocks don't work without the sway bars. You will definitely need different springs and valving to run it this way. So for any of you that might try it, don't even bother with stock X shocks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, Xelvic Thank You,
I went ahead and purchased a Set of Fox Customs developed by Magnum Off-Road. They did the testing with the swaybar and without on Both the "X" model and the XT. They adjusted spring rates and valving. When they discovered that the Swaybar was actually Hindering full travel on the rides they removed them and then accordingly made the spring and valving adjustments. I would imagine, from what I see in the shock and what testing they did, and the type of Rides they normally build, that the Roll Issue will be a non-issue. I hope at least haha. From what they say, the Commander now handles the bumps and whoops and turns much better.
Im used to riding a YFZ450 with stock suspenders. Now thats a tuff ride.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, so sorry about not posting. I settled with the second set of Shocks... a little more dampening on the rebound.
I took off the Swaybar while I was at Ocotillo.... only 8 bolts but hey, gettin that thing out is another story. I had to partly dissassemble my RW exhaust to get the thing out. Getting those spring clamps back together again required Superman Muscle.
Rode for two days without the Swaybar.... it was beautiful. I think I made a sperate post about it herre somewhere. No sway, lots of solid feeling travel. Gave me confidence to go fast and do anything I wanted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Dave, how are you liking the shox? I will be trying out my new Magnum Fox Shox this weekend in Glamis. Did you change your settings or anything? My fronts are set at 3 and rears at 4 now.

The rear of the ride did raise 1 inch, but I didnt measure the front.

Rear sway bar removed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You may want to pack the swaybar and take it with you just incase. Let us know what you think when you get back Chuck. And call with any questions. Have fun!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is packed just in case, actually in one of the boxes of the shox. :)
I cant wait to go flying down Olds and not slowing down!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts