Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1000 x when it was new top speed was 73 now it struggles to a top speed of 68 I am at about 60hrs I would like to take it to the dealer for this concern and am just fishing for more information-thanks for the replies-Brad

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am in the same boat and starting to think it's the replacement belt. I am thinking about going back to the Can-Am belt to see if that's it or not.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I am in the same boat and starting to think it's the replacement belt. I am thinking about going back to the Can-Am belt to see if that's it or not.
You may be correct on that....if the V of the belts are a couple of degrees different, one belt may ride just a bit deeper on one sheave, thus higher on the other sheave giving more top end ratio ....disregarding any slippage being the difference

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Their's one thing I know for sure, never use a belt not made by the manufacturer. Every shop will tell you it's made the same. Well there wrong. Just like our government everything is made to their specs. I have raced sleds and clutched more than most peopl here have seen. I turn wrenches on the world fastest 440 Ski-Doo and put many hours in clutching check it out.
Uploaded videos - YouTube

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Their's one thing I know for sure, never use a belt not made by the manufacturer. Every shop will tell you it's made the same. Well there wrong. Just like our government everything is made to their specs. I have raced sleds and clutched more than most peopl here have seen. I turn wrenches on the world fastest 440 Ski-Doo and put many hours in clutching check it out.
Uploaded videos - YouTube
Agreed....I've followed the 2 main Can-Am quad forums since 2008 and they try the newest and bestest anytime it comes out on their Rotax 800s......then recommend BRP belt after all the real world testing is done because of longitivity.

Sonny ...Is there an actual BRP racing belt to be had like the scuttlebutt is, or is it only forum BS?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sometimes Brp will update belts but when the machine comes out it has the best belt you can buy. But there is something to hand picking belts,you can go into a shop and mic a dozen belts and you might find one that's a couple of thou thicker (width) and it will last longer and have more speed. Many people don't believe in breaking in belts. Well you have to if you want it to last and have speed.
It's just like a NASCAR tire cycle it with heat and it will make it harder and will last longer.
Never ever put a new belt on and go on a speed run it will go fast for a couple minutes and then you should just throw it out.
Put a new belt on and cycle it through the range of the clutches let it cool and repeat three times. On a stand is the best you won't wear it out that way.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Sometimes Brp will update belts but when the machine comes out it has the best belt you can buy. But there is something to hand picking belts,you can go into a shop and mic a dozen belts and you might find one that's a couple of thou thicker (width) and it will last longer and have more speed. Many people don't believe in breaking in belts. Well you have to if you want it to last and have speed.
It's just like a NASCAR tire cycle it with heat and it will make it harder and will last longer.
Never ever put a new belt on and go on a speed run it will go fast for a couple minutes and then you should just throw it out.
Put a new belt on and cycle it through the range of the clutches let it cool and repeat three times. On a stand is the best you won't wear it out that way.
Right on.....we cycle ours 3 times also.....I also wash and rinse the new belts in warm soapy water then dry before they are ready to install .....

I read one time of the " secret BRP racing belt " that was suppose to be hiding somewhere ..haha.....probably just forum hype then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i agree, change your belt to a new oem belt, use no other, clean your clutch area, wash belt in real warm soapy water, let it sit for 10 mins. rinse, dry off and install. you may want to also consider u may have a partial dirty air filter, this is where i do use a non oem item, i use the reusable, cleanable k and n filter. much better in my opinion, but outside of that stay oem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went and grabbed a new OEM belt to put on and will use the two EPI extreme duties as spares. I'll let you know how things turn out after breaking it in. I've suspected the belt all along because I've tried two of the EPI extreme ones and they are both topping out at the same speed, so I'm really hopeful that it's just the difference in belts.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
I went and grabbed a new OEM belt to put on and will use the two EPI extreme duties as spares. I'll let you know how things turn out after breaking it in. I've suspected the belt all along because I've tried two of the EPI extreme ones and they are both topping out at the same speed, so I'm really hopeful that it's just the difference in belts.
I will definately want to hear your results!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Scot bright the inner clutch on the primary and secondary then go for a ride. You will see an improvement if it is the belt. Make sure that you d a good job with the scot bright

·
The Outlaw Ignore Amos
197 Posts
Hmmm.... the super secret double whammy race belt...not just the "known" race belt.... it does not "officially exist" I promise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts