Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with, an opinion of, or a friend who has tracks or used tracks? Camoplasts for example. I've seen some videos and
am curious if they are as functional as they appear. Can Am makes the Apache
for the Outlander but I don't see that they are available for the Commander.

Raleigh

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brother 'n' law has put a set on his 2002 honda foreman, and it was amazing what he could do/ go through.
Just plowing the driveway was a night and day difference, his plow is a foot, foot and a half wider then mine to accommodate for his tracks, and where i would be spinning to push the snow, and trying to maintain momentum, he could push more snow and could stop and go again without any spinning at all.

The only downfall i guess is, with tracks on his bike is a cow, it is slow, but it can go anywhere.

He has an older bike, and told me that tracks are harder on the ol machine, since 2002 without tracks he has only changed the front balljoints once, since he has put on the tracks he has changed the balljoints every 2 years.

All i can say it that i was impressed enough that i bought a set of tracks with my new commander that i will get in NOV. I would have liked to have gotten the BRP tracks, but they are not available as of yet, so i bought a set of Kimpex trax utv at a cost of $5000 from my dealer.
My mane use of these tracks is gonna be for plowing my driveway, along with 2 others next door , and for getting to my wood lot for my firewood.

Here is what i bought ....

Produits

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with, an opinion of, or a friend who has tracks or used tracks? Camoplasts for example. I've seen some videos and
am curious if they are as functional as they appear. Can Am makes the Apache
for the Outlander but I don't see that they are available for the Commander.

Raleigh
I purchased the tatou utv 4s tracks from atv tracks.net for $3750 in july and have ridin around a little bit but am waiting for the snow because thats the only reason i bought them.
But what i could tell from the little amount of riding around my farm that i have done is that it climbs awesome handels and steers fairly well for 100 pound tracks in the front i am looking at getting power steering in the future which would help out alot.
I gps my top speed was 60 kph but a comfortable speed would be 45-50 kph which is fast enough in my mind.
if u need good information about tracks just ask gary or ron at atv tracks.net they know there stuff.
Any ways the trek utv i think is a very well built track system but the only thing that steered me away was the price.
Heres some pics of my machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My brother 'n' law has put a set on his 2002 honda foreman, and it was amazing what he could do/ go through.
Just plowing the driveway was a night and day difference, his plow is a foot, foot and a half wider then mine to accommodate for his tracks, and where i would be spinning to push the snow, and trying to maintain momentum, he could push more snow and could stop and go again without any spinning at all.

The only downfall i guess is, with tracks on his bike is a cow, it is slow, but it can go anywhere.

He has an older bike, and told me that tracks are harder on the ol machine, since 2002 without tracks he has only changed the front balljoints once, since he has put on the tracks he has changed the balljoints every 2 years.

All i can say it that i was impressed enough that i bought a set of tracks with my new commander that i will get in NOV. I would have liked to have gotten the BRP tracks, but they are not available as of yet, so i bought a set of Kimpex trax utv at a cost of $5000 from my dealer.
My mane use of these tracks is gonna be for plowing my driveway, along with 2 others next door , and for getting to my wood lot for my firewood.

Here is what i bought ....

Produits
Unique458 post some pics of ur machine when u can i would like to see how the trek utv looks on the commander and how well they work! Have never seen the trek utv on a commander yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unique458 post some pics of ur machine when u can i would like to see how the trek utv looks on the commander and how well they work! Have never seen the trek utv on a commander yet.

Will do, and no i haven't.

I am to expect my commander ( red ) sometime in November, they said they don't know when in November, just sometime in November.

I will be sure to post lots of pics of my setup, until then i'll just have to wait. :furious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks on my 2011 800 XT Commander. I also installed the Wicked Built power steering unit which makes steering the tracks like driving your truck down the road. I took it out last week and had no issues with the tracks themselves. The tracks performed very well in the mud and snow but, I kept getting a check engine warning light. After going through all the normal steps, I noticed that the snow was steaming off the rear differential. I felt it and it was extrememly hot. I let it cool down for about 20 minutes and it cleared. Anytime I would go over 12 kph it would come back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed the Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks on my 2011 800 XT Commander. I also installed the Wicked Built power steering unit which makes steering the tracks like driving your truck down the road. I took it out last week and had no issues with the tracks themselves. The tracks performed very well in the mud and snow but, I kept getting a check engine warning light. After going through all the normal steps, I noticed that the snow was steaming off the rear differential. I felt it and it was extrememly hot. I let it cool down for about 20 minutes and it cleared. Anytime I would go over 12 kph it would come back on.

Ouche! Did you consult your dealer to see what could be causing this ?

I still have until my commander comes in to back out of the tracks if i need to, let us know whats going on when you find out.

·
Administrator
2,344 Posts
Would be interesting to pull trouble codes out to see what actually is the issue for the check engine light and your 12kph speed threshold

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, just talked to the service manager at the dealer. He said that the error code or check engine light was due to them mis-programming the tire size into the computer when it was assembled. Not sure how that would make the rear diff get blistering hot but, after he does a check ride tomorrow maybe I'll get a little more information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I asked the service manager today why I would just now be getting an error code after close to 600 miles and, just coincidently, right after they serviced the machine. He told me that the tech who did the service admitted that he was in checking the programming and, may have inadvertantly changed the tire size. Took it out for a quick ride this afternoon with no issues but the rear diff felt hot to the touch. Since I am not in the habit of sticking my hand where it may get burned, I don't know if this is normal or not but will be keeping an eye on it for a while.

Work will be getting in the way of my play time for the next 3 weeks but, when I get back I'm putting the tracks back on and we'll give it another go. If there are issues again there may be a cheap set of tracks on craigslist in a few weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I asked the service manager today why I would just now be getting an error code after close to 600 miles and, just coincidently, right after they serviced the machine. He told me that the tech who did the service admitted that he was in checking the programming and, may have inadvertantly changed the tire size. Took it out for a quick ride this afternoon with no issues but the rear diff felt hot to the touch. Since I am not in the habit of sticking my hand where it may get burned, I don't know if this is normal or not but will be keeping an eye on it for a while.

Work will be getting in the way of my play time for the next 3 weeks but, when I get back I'm putting the tracks back on and we'll give it another go. If there are issues again there may be a cheap set of tracks on craigslist in a few weeks.
I have the tatou 4s tracks also, and have had no issues yet.
I dont see how the tracks could have anything to do with the engine light going on or the rear diff getting hot, the tracks are gear reduced so the machine can handle it.

Also i noticed my rear diff gets extremely hot as well but have not had any problems with it yet and i have a 130hrs on my machine!

Let us know what happens on the next few rides!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking at getting a set of tracks and will consider used ones as they won't get a lot of use. I understand that each set needs a side by model specific mount for install, but I don't understand why there seems to be so many different track units and pricing. I find it hard to believe the mfg. make a different track unit for each model, they all look so similar in design. Ex. Units look exactly the same for a commander as for a ranger, but they're $700 difference. Certainly the mount bracket doesn't cost that much. I have no idea why Mattracks cost $8k and everyone else is $3800-$4800. Will tracks from an outy fit on a xt but with a different mount? Where's the best place for real info and $ on these sets ups?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tatou tracks , 20 mile per hour top end, 4 miles to gallon in snow , tracks need to be tight or front falls off, can't climb steep banks or back stabilizer bar will break, broke belt from overheating as snow plugged intake screen, might get stuck in fresh snow fall with all season tracks, however let snow settle for day and no problems. Bull rushes and tall tall grass have less density in snow, not fun tring to shovel bull rushes, carry jack boards tools to reinstall tracks,

·
Registered
19 Posts
P.S. Also jacked up suspension preventing tracks from hitting rock guards on sides . My rear diff got really hot too , then dealer changed rear axle (universal gone) diff cooler again.

Tried to avoid second engine, big mistake too much stress on side by side, too many accessories to resell, really wish I bought ski doo and delt with servicing two engines

Wicker built steering failure lots from higher humidity in cab!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.