Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I asked this on another forum and I am looking for more input. So all the long travel kits seem to be setup for you guys out west. Basically, dune riding running high speed in open desert areas. I live on in the south east were are riding is a lot different.

So looking at a long travel kit for the Commander what should I be looking for? I do a lot of heavy duty trail riding and some rock crawling on eastern type difficult to most difficult style trails.

These trails can be defined as very rocky, rutted out, off camber, extremely muddy (at times), creek runs , very steep Hill climbs and down hills, large rock formations and boulder covered roads requiring technical navigation (winching) when you can't power up and over things. Trail width can be a issue also.

So what would Long Travel kit would work best if you wanted to build a bullet proof heavy duty trail Commander?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Here is something that is older but good info and links on Commander LT kits.
So Long Travel is one part and Shocks are the second.

I was thinking about you and I would think for what you want to do the Air Shocks by Bad Dawg would be the way to go for shocks because you can ajust the ride hight for going over rocks you might want it high but wile driving on a angle or just going down a flat road you might want it to ride much lower. The list price is $2400 for 4 but if you call Jordan Sample direct he will give you a price that is much lower that that listed. But don't call the 800 number just call Phone: (870) 613-5148. I can't list the price but it would be much less than any other shocks if you call Jordan direct. He is a great guy and will have them to you when he says. I got the storage boxes (Great for the Commdander) and he said 4 days and I had them in 3 days across the country.

The Long Travel is something that depends on how wide you want your Commander to be. There is +3, +4, +5 and +6 per side. The wider the better for overall travel and clearance but the width is a problem for a lot of trails because of both the trees and rocks. So if you get a +3 kit you will go from about 10.5" of travel to 11.5" of travel. Or a +4" will get you 14" of travel. But over +4 you will have to start thinking about cutting or removing your bed of the Commander.

I did not want to cut my bed and I wanted to say as narrow as I could with LT but get the travel too so I decided on +3 or +4 for me so I would have 14" of travel and still not to much wider from what I had with the 2" spacers. Out of the 6 or so different companys that are making the LT for the Commander right now the only one that has ajustable camber on the front is TurnKeyUTV and so I went that way. The CX3 by TurnKeyUTV is listed as +3 but it is really +3.75". This is good for me because it give 14" of travel and if it was only +3 wider it would only be 11.5" of travel like the kit from Holz.

So that said what I would do it get the Bad Dawg Air Shocks and get the TurnKeyUTV CX3 Kit.

Or if you want to get as much clearance as possable you might look at the +5 or +6 kits too.

I have not looked into them much be the DragonFire +5 kit looks to be very strong. I didn't want to go that wide or change my shock mounts but it does look like a good kit.

One thing the axels that come with the LT kits are make of 4340 (Good) or 300M (the best possible) so look at that too. Wile I got the CX3 that came with 4340 I wanted to upgrade to 300M and it was looking like a extra $600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking at the turnkey CX3 (as I said on another forum). It seems to offer the best option for lift, travel and width when it comes to long travel kits. I will also go with the stronger 300m axles for the simple fact I want a strong as possible. Add in Heavy duty tie rods and I hope to have a beefy enough setup to avoid most breakages.

We shall see. I have to save a bit then I am going to get my setup.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I will post a list of all the LT kits later today or tomorrow. I wanted to get info on each and price. Some companys just don't have anything listed so wile getting other things done around the house before going to work tonight I will see if I can get it together. I will post it on Commandertalk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts