Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
has anyone had to replace a u-joint on a commander, I went to grease my machine last night and found that the grease zerk on the front drive shaft on the engine side is missing. Since I have no idea how long it has been missing - I assume it was there when the dealer did the ten hour service - I think it would be pro-active to replace the u-joint instead of just putting a new grease zerk into the existing one and risking it failing.

If you have replace one or have any comments please let me know? I am trying to figure out how much of a pain it is to replace one.

Thank you:mad:

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
If you or someone else can, grab the driveshaft and try to move it back and forth parallel with one of the two axis. Then do the same with the axis at 90° from the first one done. Look for any joint slop while twisting and wiggling it....if none, locate a zerk, grease, and drive it like you stole it!

If it's loose, we will help you along for R & R....and no that doesn't mean rest and relaxation Tim!....:p

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the u-joint has a lot pf play and I am worried about it coming apart on a long ride. So I need to replace the dang thing. Does anyone have tips on how to remove the front drive line so that I can replace the u-joint which finally arrived so I can work on this?

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Well the u-joint has a lot pf play and I am worried about it coming apart on a long ride. So I need to replace the dang thing. Does anyone have tips on how to remove the front drive line so that I can replace the u-joint which finally arrived so I can work on this?
I've never even looked at ours to figure out the easiest way....I would need to read the shop manual before spouting out any advice Tim.

sent by a twin turboed RAZR

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I gave up trying to change my u-joint, there are just too many parts that need to be removed in order to pull the front drive line(propeller shaft). Being a paraplegic it just became more than I was wi;;ing to deal with. So I took it to the dealer and had them do the fix, the cost nearly 400.00 in labor, I provided them with the part which I had purchased from a dealer in California. Apparently to get the drive line out you have to remove the radiator and a lot of other part connected to that and the front differential.
My advice to those of you who are still under warranty is to look at your u0joints and make sure that the grease zerks are in place. I do not believe the grease zerk was ever installed or if it was that it was tightened. There is no reason in the world that a grease zerk should back itself out and fall off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts