Can-Am Commander Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The filters are available so give them a call if you have been waiting

Welcome to Uni Filter.com

I talked to Uni Filter today and they are doing the first run of production today. He told me that a typical dual stage foam filter has two layers of 3/8" foam. The new filter for the Commander will have 7/8" foam for the prefilter and the standard 3/8" for the secondary filter. They did this because the engine flows much more air than the typical motocrosser and 4 wheeler engines.

They did put the air box on the flow bench and the new filter flows 15cfm more than the stock Can-Am filter

They are going to send me some photos so I will post them later

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Thanx for the info....maybe find another horsepower in it would be nice for sure....Lance

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Any pics? Doesn't look like their web site is set up yet for purchasing on line. Do we get a forum discount (anything off the $79.95 price on their site)? I'll be getting one, would just like to see a pic or two first. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told everyone....It does exist

I said I would posts the pics when I get some. Here they are

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
Awesome Craig...the pictures help alot.....that's the one going on the commander for sure instead of the K&N....Lance

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Awesome Craig...the pictures help alot.....that's the one going on the commander for sure instead of the K&N....Lance
I hope it fits better than factory... I just checked mine and have a bunch of sand on the "clean" side of my air box.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Can you take the foam off to clean it like on other filters? If not I would hope they keep R&D going to get it better. I would like to be able to clean the filter in a small container and remove the foam to ring it out.

Thanks for the picture, and I am always happy to see thing out for the Commander, just want things done right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with Uni Filter

The price is $62.95

The website is wrong

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
What makes the uni filter better than the K&N filter? Just wondering why you prefer the uni filter.
The K&N filter is dry and does not clean the air as well, not to mention you use the K&N filter and throw it away, maybe clean it with a air hose, but you will not get it that clean that way.

Where the UNI filter is foam and you can dip it in cleaner and ring it out in oil in most cases. This will be a little different because they did not design it to come off the frame so you will not be able to ring it out in a small bucket or pour oil over it and ring it out. It is still better than anything out there because you can clean it in a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons or more of cleaner and buy the spray oil that cost a lot more the the oil you pour on and ring out. But with all that said, you can't get a better way to clean the air going into your engine than with foam covered with oil.

As you can tell I have mixed thoughts on this product. Had they designed the foam to come off the filter frame, even at twice the cost we would have saved money in the long run. Because as I said above you can not fit this in a coffee can of cleaner so you will be buying a lot more cleaner and oil.

I will most likely get one myself but keeping my fingers crossed they they keep working on the design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uni Filter says that cleaning the filter in hot water and regular Dawn dish washing detergent works just fine. It might take a little longer to break down the oil but it's cheap

If it didn't work the Animal Rescue people wouldn't use it to clean all those oil covered animals. Like I said Uni Filter recommended it after I told them that I liked the No-Toil filter oil. Turns out that the No-Toil filter oil will eat the glue that Uni Filter uses to hold the two layers together. Thats when he told be about using Dawn

·
Registered
211 Posts
Received my UNI filter yesterday. Looks like a really nice piece. Does not come oiled so you'll have to do that. Going to install it tomorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What makes the uni filter better than the K&N filter? Just wondering why you prefer the uni filter.
K&N is a oiled cotton gauze, UNI is a oiled two stage foam. I've run UNI on all my off road stuff for ever, always had good luck with em. I've run K&N on all my street stuff. I feel the UNI is better suited for the dirt and K&N is better for the street. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the other Commander forum one of the sponsors has them for $49.81 plus shipping. I do not think it's a "forum" deal, just their normal price. It's ATV OUTFITTERS and they said they are on their site. There are pics over there too, but I did not know how to copy them in over here.

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
On the other Commander forum one of the sponsors has them for $49.81 plus shipping. I do not think it's a "forum" deal, just their normal price. It's ATV OUTFITTERS and they said they are on their site. There are pics over there too, but I did not know how to copy them in over here.
Hey, thanx for putting us in the know! ...Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts