Can-Am Commander Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys this may of came up before but this is a prob that developed last trip. machine still runs good but we noticed it was fighting to get past 68mph. Knew something wasnt right when it did 74 before. We noticed at cruising around 30ish and 4800 to 5200 rpm the clutch sounded like a rattle/ vibration type noise.Then it would go away at higher rpm. I took it in and they said they have no exp with these machines yet so i had to come up there and show the pro's what it was doing as well as the bird chirping sound when almost stopped. This sound is only when full running temps are up. You can here the tone change in the clutch and get loud at those rpms. So they said if we tear into it and find nothing the cost is on you. I said well lets call brp and find out what they say. Makes sense right? Well sure enough brp told them there is a TSB on the 2011 1000 commanders for the lock washer failing on the secondary clutch causing it to come loose. Nice eh? Just what i would want. An 8000rpm metal plate coming through the case.lol. Just an fyi but keep listening for a tone change in your machines. Ours started around 500 miles. The TSB is replace the bolt and new lock washer. Hope this helps if anyone is already noticing this rattle/ vibration like sound at the listed rpms cruising speed.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Thanx for the heads up.....this has been an ongoing problem to many ....

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
3 Posts
So did they take yours apart and it was loose? Did they change it and lastly did it help your loss of top speed?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they were told by brp to change it. and i want a new belt as well because a few times when we hit it on a 40 roll we smelled belt. it is currently under surgery or waiting to go under the knife. they wont do the work until the new bolt and lock washer come in. I will keep you all posted. I was watching some commander videos and there 1000 machines under full throttle are taching around 71 to 7200 at 68mph and climbing. mines was at 6750. and struggling. machines was acting the same as my snowmobile when the bolt came loose/ broke on my primary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't looked yet, but do the 2012's still have this problem?? I've noticed a few good changes but this would suck if it isn't changed yet :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man i would hope they are. Since brp found the problem in the 2011 model. But dont you love the fact that they wont even say anything or even do right and tell the owners bring it in before you have issues. no. they wait until they have to fix them. All about the money i guess. I hope they get mine fixed asap so i can get it all shined up and armor all for the winter storage. 199.00 for heated storage from now til april. I can tell you one thing. As an ex honda owner if there was a slight issue with my rancher i got a recall letter from honda. 2 small recalls. Maybe BRP will recall eventualy. a lock washer failing on something that spins 8000rpms could be a problem.lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bird Chirping Noise

That's the description I was looking for. My bird chirping started at about 70 hours and sounds like it coming from the right rear. What is this? Thanks in advance.

Took 1000 xt in right before warrantee expired for a sensor glitch. Oil light and limp home mode comes on until it warms up or reaching 3000 rpm. Tech said
there's a BRP upgrade which modifies the sensor. His cure worked but about the bird chirping he didn't have an answer other than it was one of the more
quiet commanders he's worked on. ???

Raleigh

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's the description I was looking for. My bird chirping started at about 70 hours and sounds like it coming from the right rear. What is this? Thanks in advance.

Took 1000 xt in right before warrantee expired for a sensor glitch. Oil light and limp home mode comes on until it warms up or reaching 3000 rpm. Tech said
there's a BRP upgrade which modifies the sensor. His cure worked but about the bird chirping he didn't have an answer other than it was one of the more
quiet commanders he's worked on. ???

Raleigh
I am not sure if this will help you or not. I had the chirping noise also. It was the latch on the dump box on the right rear. I spray silicone on it every once in a while and the sound is gone. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
About every Commander bed latches need proper adjustment to eliminate that squeaking sound....ours were way off too....I also used a dab of vaseline to lube with on both parts that latch together....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thats not the same bird chirp sound. I also lubed the tailgate. The bird chirp is normal. What we are hearing is the system when were about to stop and its an echo coming from the cvt inlet filter at the top of the hood on drivers side. Ok Here we go with the surgery report. They took the machine apart and the secondary clutch bolt was tight but yet they said it came loose pretty easy. They said it was starting to come loose. They replaced it with the new upgraded bolt and washer. tightened to torque spec and another 180 degree turn as required. I test drove today. hard hole shots in sport mode. perfect. ran to 71mph and got off. perfect. cruise, no more rattle sound between 48 and 5200 rpm. Cleaned and waiting for spring. Oh and fyi i asked about a little grease coming out of the rear axle shaft boot on the drivers side and brp said thats normal for both to leak a little bit of grease. no tears. all good and normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts